new 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biosfear

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just picked up a practically new 55 gallon with all the bells and whistles for 75 bucks.
I've been running my 75 gallon aquarium for a few years now and wanted to get another one to do some experimenting on/in. Going to have a cheap sand substrate rather than the expensive painted gravel from the pet store. REALLY excited about this!
It's filled up and beginning to cycle. I'm going to kick-start the cycling process with water from my 75.

I use RO water, T5 lighting, root tabs, a little aquarium salt and maintain a pretty darn good natural balance.

I want to keep assassin snails, my new peacock eel!, catfish, and something else interesting.... any suggestions?? I'm thinking large, social (semi-aggressive??), and neat to look at. Probably not a cichlid.

i also painted the back of this thing with Flat Black spray paint. I think it'll look cool with some bright green plants growing in front of it. Painting was quick and easy. Used nearly the whole can. Put on maybe 3-5 coats.

I'm going to grow some crypt wendtii, myriophyllum, rotala, java moss, and cabomba

Water from your old tank will do nothing to kick start the cycle. If you have filter media or some decor from the old tank, that will help. The beneficial bacteria does not exist in the water, it is on surfaces.

Last edited:
That's good to know. Im also using an old HOB filter from my 75. I replaced it with a canister filter.

Question: the HOB was in use for about a year but has been sitting in my garage for the past couple months. Will it still have any useful bacteria in the bio wheel or filter? Or has it all died off without water?

Biosfear said:
That's good to know. Im also using an old HOB filter from my 75. I replaced it with a canister filter.

Question: the HOB was in use for about a year but has been sitting in my garage for the past couple months. Will it still have any useful bacteria in the bio wheel or filter? Or has it all died off without water?

If the filter pad is still wet then yes but if everything is all dried out then most likely no

Back
Top Bottom