New 90 gallon and sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
SO recently I got a 90 gallon tank :) I wanted to go with sand as a substrate because I've never used it and I like the look. I just did my first water change on it's long way to cycling. Sand is messy! Am I going to have to deal with a bucket load of sand and the cloudiness of the tank every time I do a water change? I'm only using a gravel vac and filter(of course) to clean it. Tips, or suggestions would be great :)

If u use a gravel vac just keep it at an angle just above the sand it will catch most light debris with out getting too much sand when I do my water changes I never get more than an ounce of sand per 10g of water and when u fill it up slowly pour it in over a structure or put a clay pot in upside down to deflect the water or do why I do when I'm lazy if u have a canister filter just stick the inlet in your bucket and turn it on I have a filstar and it works great due to that flow lever on the top

Pool filter sand doesnt make a mess if you want to switch it lol

I have pool filter sand in all my tanks now, and I will never go back to gravel again!

when I do a water change I just pour the water over the DW or a Skull in my 10 gallon.

you could also pour the water into a plastic cup and that will help too.

Back
Top Bottom