New Acan frags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cmor1701d

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got these frags from eBay....

Attachments

• Acan1.jpg
    Acan1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 191
  • Acan2.jpg
    Acan2.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 181
  • acan3.jpg
    acan3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 208
  • acan4.jpg
    acan4.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 153
don't know much about acans. are they hard to take care of? are they hard or have soft polyps? Nice pick ups by the way. will be interesting to see once they grow out a bit

Acanthastrea Lordhowensis (Acanthastrea sp.)

Type: Large Polyp Stony
Family: Mussidae
Origin: Indo Pacific

Aquarium Needs:

Lighting: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis are a hermatypic/photosynthetic coral. They require moderate to high lighting. Power compact lighting may be used but ideally T-5 & Metal Halide fixtures will prove more beneficial.
Water Quality: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis are more tolerant of changes water quality making them an excellent coral for beginners. Though they are more tolerant, a stable environment is obviously better for the prolonged health & well being of these creatures. Due to the heavy feeding requirements, a strong protein skimmer is recommended. Activated carbon as well as items such as ozone generators can help as well.
Current: Acanthastrea Lordhowensis require medium to strong water movement. Excessive flow on the animal can cause polyp retraction or in worst-case polyp bailout (polyps actually detach from their skeleton).

Classification: Acanthastrea EchinataDescription: An LPS, or Large Polyp Stony coral. This coral has shared corallite walls unlike its close relative Acanthastrea lordhowensis. Outer edges of the polyps are raised slightly above the inside (mouth). Colors vary tremendously. They can be any color or any mixture of any number of colors. Can be seen encrusting over live rock or plating.

Thanks. Where did you get that description? is there a web site that has all the coral description and needs?

There are MANY websites with descriptions. My post had info from two differrent site. GOOGLE is your friend. Type in "ACAN coral" and choose from thousands of web sites..

Those must be the one you got the smoking deals on. Very nice. All these new acans in this forum, I need to get one.

Did you really think they would go for $0.99 :p

He has plently more available. I may get some more. They are looking much better now that they are acclimated to the tank and lights. I'll post more pics over the weekend.

I've never really been a fan of the Acan, but you guys are making me rethink that position. Maybe when I do the 210...Very nice corals though!!

You'll have lots of room in the 210. A small colony here and there would be nice an colorful. Just keep the frag tank full of acros though!

be careful not to have another coral bump into them though. they will eat the flesh off of it faster than you can say "yikes, my 100 dollar frag!"

i lost half of an ORA green polyp birdsnest when it was knocked over by my algae blenny, into a lord colony. it must have been lying against it for about an hour when i found it. it was pure white skeleton by then.

I've got a quite a way to go before my single polyps turn into a colony. So far only my turbo snails have been able to over my acros. One of them recently knocked one off it's plug and I had to re-glue it.

i give them an assortment. sometimes misis, sometimes cyclo-peeze(the frozen type), and sometimes i give them a home-made mixture(shrimp, scallops, clams...whatever i could get from the supermarket, all blended together)

It helps promote growth. I don't generally target feed them. I just make sure the tank is fed.

Agree... they don't need them, but they sure seem to grow quick when you do spot feed them. I give mine a squirt of mysis/cyclopeeze once a week when I'm feeding the fish. Feeding during the day is just fine - they'll open up and devour stuff really quick.

Back
Top Bottom