New additions to the tanks :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is that Achilles doing? Nice pictures.

He's only doing okay at this point, still eating but I've noticed that he has slowed down these last few days. The ich must be getting to him :( We have a new UV light on the way since we found out ours is only 9watts :facepalm: The new one should be in today so hopefully he survives!

He's only doing okay at this point, still eating but I've noticed that he has slowed down these last few days. The ich must be getting to him :( We have a new UV light on the way since we found out ours is only 9watts :facepalm: The new one should be in today so hopefully he survives!

What size tank, what skimmer, what do you have for flow, what and how often is he eating? Also what other fish are in that tank with him? I will try to help you save him.

Okay thanks!

Fish
yellow tang
royal gramma
red coris wrasse
cleaner wrasse
six line wrassse
coral beauty
midas blenny
starry blenny
flame hawkfish
mandarin
maroon clown
2 x bangaii cardinals
orange spot rabbit fish (in sump)

I think that's all, all I can think of right now anyways. None of the fish bother the tang, the yellow tang and him get along fine.

Tank info
260 gallons
28830-albums973-picture7362.jpg

this is the skimmer

We have a wave box as well as two koralia powerheads one on each side(I think, can't remember the brand I'd have to check after work)

We have been feeding the tang two times a day, one feeding of algae usually soaked in garlic or vitamins, and one feeding of either flakes or mysis shrimp also soaked in garlic or vitamins.

We have also been increasing our water changes, my brother did another last night.

The tang only nibbled on the food this morning when my brother fed him. He is hiding behind his rock which is not normal for him, he's usually out and about.

Well our UV light isn't coming in till tues now! Postal services are striking! My brother and I just emptied our goldfish tank, it's a 75 gallon 4 foot tank and the goldfish are outside in the pond now anyways for the summer. We put some liverock in and filled it half full and moved both the achilles tang and the rabbit fish over to be treated. The rabbit fish will be going to a new home so I need him to be healthy. We will be treating with copper and hopefully we can get the UV light running on our main tank to help get the ich under control.

Okay thanks!

Fish
yellow tang
royal gramma
red coris wrasse
cleaner wrasse
six line wrassse
coral beauty
midas blenny
starry blenny
flame hawkfish
mandarin
maroon clown
2 x bangaii cardinals
orange spot rabbit fish (in sump)

I think that's all, all I can think of right now anyways. None of the fish bother the tang, the yellow tang and him get along fine.

Tank info
260 gallons
28830-albums973-picture7362.jpg

this is the skimmer

We have a wave box as well as two koralia powerheads one on each side(I think, can't remember the brand I'd have to check after work)

We have been feeding the tang two times a day, one feeding of algae usually soaked in garlic or vitamins, and one feeding of either flakes or mysis shrimp also soaked in garlic or vitamins.

We have also been increasing our water changes, my brother did another last night.

The tang only nibbled on the food this morning when my brother fed him. He is hiding behind his rock which is not normal for him, he's usually out and about.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. However, this depends on which Koralias you have. In fact, even if they are Koralia 4, you probably don't have enough flow for an Achilles in that big ol` tank. Achilles live in very chaotic highly oxygenated water in the reef crest, in the wild. I have always read about that, and finally got to witness it myself last summer when I went to Hawaii. All the Achilles were hanging out in an area where the waves and current were the most violent. Achilles need a similar environment to thrive in our tanks. I have had my Achilles over 2-years now, and I also believe that my oversized protein skimmer has helped put lots of oxygen back into the water. When your brother does all these water changes you talk about, I hope he is carefully matching the Salinity/SG and the Temperature of the main tank.

Well our UV light isn't coming in till tues now! Postal services are striking! My brother and I just emptied our goldfish tank, it's a 75 gallon 4 foot tank and the goldfish are outside in the pond now anyways for the summer. We put some liverock in and filled it half full and moved both the achilles tang and the rabbit fish over to be treated. The rabbit fish will be going to a new home so I need him to be healthy. We will be treating with copper and hopefully we can get the UV light running on our main tank to help get the ich under control.

Eeek. I know this is a by the book move, but I think it may kill the Achilles, just from the stress of having to catch him and move him to a new environment when he already wasn't doing so hot. Well it is too late know so lets just do the best you can in the QT. At least, it is a 75-gallon which is a good sized QT. I hope you used water from your main tank to fill the 75-gallon instead of new water. Remember to put a lot of flow in there with powerful powerheads breaking the surface of the water.
On a side note, even if the QT move and Copper doesn't kill the Achilles, he is just going to get reinfected with Ich once you put him back in the main tank. Unless you treat your main tank or keep your main tank fallow of all fish for 8-weeks. Keep us posted.

Eeek. I know this is a by the book move, but I think it may kill the Achilles, just from the stress of having to catch him and move him to a new environment when he already wasn't doing so hot. Well it is too late know so lets just do the best you can in the QT. At least, it is a 75-gallon which is a good sized QT. I hope you used water from your main tank to fill the 75-gallon instead of new water. Remember to put a lot of flow in there with powerful powerheads breaking the surface of the water.
On a side note, even if the QT move and Copper doesn't kill the Achilles, he is just going to get reinfected with Ich once you put him back in the main tank. Unless you treat your main tank or keep your main tank fallow of all fish for 8-weeks. Keep us posted.

Yes it was a bad move:( We did use main tank water yes and he was doing surprisingly well, and then dead this morning :( We had been putting it off because we thought the stress would kill him but he was really not looking too great yesterday and we didn't think he would make it much longer. I feel horrible! And the current makes sense, he loved swimming up against the powerhead.

I've been trying to convince my brother that we need to remove all the fish and let the tank sit but he won't do it, he thinks they are fine since the rest of the fish can fight off any signs of ich and look healthy. If we did remove the fish we would have to tear the tank down pretty much to get that red coris wrasse, he buries in the sand and is near impossible to catch.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really wish we could have saved him </3

Back
Top Bottom