Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
0o.Kelsey.o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
How is that Achilles doing? Nice pictures.

He's only doing okay at this point, still eating but I've noticed that he has slowed down these last few days. The ich must be getting to him We have a new UV light on the way since we found out ours is only 9watts The new one should be in today so hopefully he survives!
__________________

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #42
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o.Kelsey.o0 View Post
He's only doing okay at this point, still eating but I've noticed that he has slowed down these last few days. The ich must be getting to him We have a new UV light on the way since we found out ours is only 9watts The new one should be in today so hopefully he survives!
What size tank, what skimmer, what do you have for flow, what and how often is he eating? Also what other fish are in that tank with him? I will try to help you save him.
__________________

__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
0o.Kelsey.o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,526
Okay thanks!

Fish
yellow tang
royal gramma
red coris wrasse
cleaner wrasse
six line wrassse
coral beauty
midas blenny
starry blenny
flame hawkfish
mandarin
maroon clown
2 x bangaii cardinals
orange spot rabbit fish (in sump)

I think that's all, all I can think of right now anyways. None of the fish bother the tang, the yellow tang and him get along fine.

Tank info
260 gallons

this is the skimmer

We have a wave box as well as two koralia powerheads one on each side(I think, can't remember the brand I'd have to check after work)


We have been feeding the tang two times a day, one feeding of algae usually soaked in garlic or vitamins, and one feeding of either flakes or mysis shrimp also soaked in garlic or vitamins.

We have also been increasing our water changes, my brother did another last night.

The tang only nibbled on the food this morning when my brother fed him. He is hiding behind his rock which is not normal for him, he's usually out and about.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:52 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
0o.Kelsey.o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,526
Well our UV light isn't coming in till tues now! Postal services are striking! My brother and I just emptied our goldfish tank, it's a 75 gallon 4 foot tank and the goldfish are outside in the pond now anyways for the summer. We put some liverock in and filled it half full and moved both the achilles tang and the rabbit fish over to be treated. The rabbit fish will be going to a new home so I need him to be healthy. We will be treating with copper and hopefully we can get the UV light running on our main tank to help get the ich under control.
0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #45
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o.Kelsey.o0 View Post
Okay thanks!

Fish
yellow tang
royal gramma
red coris wrasse
cleaner wrasse
six line wrassse
coral beauty
midas blenny
starry blenny
flame hawkfish
mandarin
maroon clown
2 x bangaii cardinals
orange spot rabbit fish (in sump)

I think that's all, all I can think of right now anyways. None of the fish bother the tang, the yellow tang and him get along fine.

Tank info
260 gallons

this is the skimmer

We have a wave box as well as two koralia powerheads one on each side(I think, can't remember the brand I'd have to check after work)


We have been feeding the tang two times a day, one feeding of algae usually soaked in garlic or vitamins, and one feeding of either flakes or mysis shrimp also soaked in garlic or vitamins.

We have also been increasing our water changes, my brother did another last night.

The tang only nibbled on the food this morning when my brother fed him. He is hiding behind his rock which is not normal for him, he's usually out and about.
It sounds like you are doing everything right. However, this depends on which Koralias you have. In fact, even if they are Koralia 4, you probably don't have enough flow for an Achilles in that big ol` tank. Achilles live in very chaotic highly oxygenated water in the reef crest, in the wild. I have always read about that, and finally got to witness it myself last summer when I went to Hawaii. All the Achilles were hanging out in an area where the waves and current were the most violent. Achilles need a similar environment to thrive in our tanks. I have had my Achilles over 2-years now, and I also believe that my oversized protein skimmer has helped put lots of oxygen back into the water. When your brother does all these water changes you talk about, I hope he is carefully matching the Salinity/SG and the Temperature of the main tank.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #46
AA Team Emeritus
 
ryshark's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0o.Kelsey.o0 View Post
Well our UV light isn't coming in till tues now! Postal services are striking! My brother and I just emptied our goldfish tank, it's a 75 gallon 4 foot tank and the goldfish are outside in the pond now anyways for the summer. We put some liverock in and filled it half full and moved both the achilles tang and the rabbit fish over to be treated. The rabbit fish will be going to a new home so I need him to be healthy. We will be treating with copper and hopefully we can get the UV light running on our main tank to help get the ich under control.
Eeek. I know this is a by the book move, but I think it may kill the Achilles, just from the stress of having to catch him and move him to a new environment when he already wasn't doing so hot. Well it is too late know so lets just do the best you can in the QT. At least, it is a 75-gallon which is a good sized QT. I hope you used water from your main tank to fill the 75-gallon instead of new water. Remember to put a lot of flow in there with powerful powerheads breaking the surface of the water.
On a side note, even if the QT move and Copper doesn't kill the Achilles, he is just going to get reinfected with Ich once you put him back in the main tank. Unless you treat your main tank or keep your main tank fallow of all fish for 8-weeks. Keep us posted.
__________________
180-gallon acrylic mainly SPS, SWC 1A Cone Skimmer, APEX Neptune Controller, 3x MP40w Vortechs, Tunze 6045, Radiums 250w in Lumenarc Minis, Galaxy Ballast, BRS Dosers
ryshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
0o.Kelsey.o0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Saskatchewan, Canada
Posts: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryshark View Post
Eeek. I know this is a by the book move, but I think it may kill the Achilles, just from the stress of having to catch him and move him to a new environment when he already wasn't doing so hot. Well it is too late know so lets just do the best you can in the QT. At least, it is a 75-gallon which is a good sized QT. I hope you used water from your main tank to fill the 75-gallon instead of new water. Remember to put a lot of flow in there with powerful powerheads breaking the surface of the water.
On a side note, even if the QT move and Copper doesn't kill the Achilles, he is just going to get reinfected with Ich once you put him back in the main tank. Unless you treat your main tank or keep your main tank fallow of all fish for 8-weeks. Keep us posted.

Yes it was a bad move We did use main tank water yes and he was doing surprisingly well, and then dead this morning We had been putting it off because we thought the stress would kill him but he was really not looking too great yesterday and we didn't think he would make it much longer. I feel horrible! And the current makes sense, he loved swimming up against the powerhead.

I've been trying to convince my brother that we need to remove all the fish and let the tank sit but he won't do it, he thinks they are fine since the rest of the fish can fight off any signs of ich and look healthy. If we did remove the fish we would have to tear the tank down pretty much to get that red coris wrasse, he buries in the sand and is near impossible to catch.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really wish we could have saved him </3
__________________

0o.Kelsey.o0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Additions mwilliams Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 16 01-27-2011 11:38 AM
New additions melosu58 New Acquisitions 9 07-13-2007 08:23 PM
New additions melosu58 New Acquisitions 7 05-30-2007 01:05 PM
Some new additions lando New Acquisitions 9 05-10-2007 10:15 PM
new additions vsnsofadrgn Nano Reefs 18 03-08-2007 05:46 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.