Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2012, 07:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update:
Flagfish is having a time-out in a floating, clear breeding box since he seems to have decided that guppy tails make excellent snacks... I also saw him taking "tastes" of the tetras. I've read that most of their aggression is due to having bottomless pits for stomachs, so hopefully I can get him full enough while he's in the isolation box so that when his time-out is over in a few days he won't keep chasing the other fish...

If that still doesn't work, I have some in-store credits for a couple plants that didn't survive the shipping that I can use to grab some females to distract him with. As always, the final fallback plan is to take him to my LFS to re-home if the prior two methods don't work

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Ah, yes the females will help with his aggression. Once he gets some friends, he'll hang out with them instead of eating guppy tails.

By the way, they are like most "nippy" types, the long flowing colorful fins are an attraction. My male would harass my long finned danios until I found him some girls and another male.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

So what I'm hearing is that he's a typical male; everything is secondary when there's some girls around to chase ? Looks like the minimum order has been changed since I bought him, so I have to get no less than 3 additional flagfish... Would 2 girls, 1 boy be a good mix, or should I stick to 3 girls to thoroughly distract him?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Try to keep the numbers even. If you can get 3 girls and another male it should be good. Sometimes if there are too many females, the male or even the one he pairs with will kill them. It really depends on his tempement, some like a harem, some don't. One of my males has 2 females and my other male has 1.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update:
After 3 days in the floating isolation chamber my flagfish is still getting excited when it sees the guppies (or any other fish outside my betta really). I've been trying to make sure he's had no shortage of food, but he ignores the algae discs and freeze dried bloodworms. Only thing he goes for are frozen spirulina brine shrimp, which are difficult to portion for one fish.

I don't think it's fair to make him stay in the isolation chamber until the next batch of flag fish are shipped to me, so he'll probably need to be taken to my LFS to be rehomed... Which opens up a new possibility since I haven't ordered the new flagfish yet... Are juveniles less ornery than the adults? I know that in Angelfish at least they tend to ignore tetras they grow up with, but an adult added to a tank with tetras tends to eat them. Does the same go for Flagfish?

Tags
american

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com