Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New and completely inexperienced

I have a new 10 gal tank my boys got for Christmas. I have no knowledge whatsoever and have a few questions that I pray someone can answer.

1st, I am thinking of cycling my tank by using a friends bacteria bed. How do I need to go about that? Do I just squeeze the bio filter water into a jar and pour it into my tank?

2nd, I would like to purchase Zebra Danios, at least 1 guppie, and at least 1 red dalmatian Molly. How many of this combination could fit comfortably in my tank?

3rd, I want to get at least 2 live plants. Any suggestions for the type of fish I will have?

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by latashalaine View Post
I have a new 10 gal tank my boys got for Christmas. I have no knowledge whatsoever and have a few questions that I pray someone can answer.

1st, I am thinking of cycling my tank by using a friends bacteria bed. How do I need to go about that? Do I just squeeze the bio filter water into a jar and pour it into my tank?

2nd, I would like to purchase Zebra Danios, at least 1 guppie, and at least 1 red dalmatian Molly. How many of this combination could fit comfortably in my tank?

3rd, I want to get at least 2 live plants. Any suggestions for the type of fish I will have?

Thanks!
Take a piece of filter media and insert it in your filter to cycle. Remember to provide ammonia.
Zebra danios are too active for a ten gallon and mollies too big. I would suggest two male guppies, 1 male platy, and a small school of ember tetras or chili rasboras, no less than five and no more than 7.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Welcome to AA!

Firstly, you are absolutely right that a tank needs to be cycled before adding any fish. A week to 2 weeks is best to let bacteria build in the filter media. To do this, you don't need to do anything fancy, just let it run with the heater and filter and lighting on. It's called a fishless cycle. As you are new to the hobby, I would suggest easy community fish, such as neon tetras, and you could probably stretch to guppies and mollys. The latter two are live bearers, so they breed and give birth in the tank. I recommend 1:1 ratio male to female, so 2 guppies and 2 mollys. Neon tetras you would need to get at least 6 as they shoal together. Only start with very few fish and add over 1-2 week periods on a new tank. I would buy 6 neon tetras first and then add from there once they have settled in.

The danios are too active for this sized tank, so I would rethink these. Start with the above named species first. As for the plants, java fern and Anubis are very good hardy plants providing they get enough light, 8-10 hours a day is fine. I would recommend you buy these attached to bog wood or rock, which your local fish store can sell you attached already.

Any questions feel free to ask away
Old 12-23-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OJO View Post
Welcome to AA!

Firstly, you are absolutely right that a tank needs to be cycled before adding any fish. A week to 2 weeks is best to let bacteria build in the filter media. To do this, you don't need to do anything fancy, just let it run with the heater and filter and lighting on. It's called a fishless cycle. As you are new to the hobby, I would suggest easy community fish, such as neon tetras, and you could probably stretch to guppies and mollys. The latter two are live bearers, so they breed and give birth in the tank. I recommend 1:1 ratio male to female, so 2 guppies and 2 mollys. Neon tetras you would need to get at least 6 as they shoal together. Only start with very few fish and add over 1-2 week periods on a new tank. I would buy 6 neon tetras first and then add from there once they have settled in.

The danios are too active for this sized tank, so I would rethink these. Start with the above named species first. As for the plants, java fern and Anubis are very good hardy plants providing they get enough light, 8-10 hours a day is fine. I would recommend you buy these attached to bog wood or rock, which your local fish store can sell you attached already.

Any questions feel free to ask away
I'm sorry, but I disagree with the stocking suggested. All livebearers need a 1:2 M:F ratio. Mollies get to 3-6 inches. Guppies are fine, but neons are far too active, which is why I suggested ember tetras.
OP- How about going to liveaquaria.com and telling us what fish you like? We can help you form an appropriate stocking plan
Old 12-24-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also a tank doesn't cycle in a week it takes 5 to 6 weeks
Old 12-24-2012, 02:16 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerald76 View Post
I'm sorry, but I disagree with the stocking suggested. All livebearers need a 1:2 M:F ratio. Mollies get to 3-6 inches. Guppies are fine, but neons are far too active, which is why I suggested ember tetras.
OP- How about going to liveaquaria.com and telling us what fish you like? We can help you form an appropriate stocking plan

what does the term livebearer mean exactly and do I need that ratio even when I'm not wanting breeding to take place?

do I need to make an account on liveaquaria in order to do that?
Old 12-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Livebearer refers to a group of small freshwater fish that includes guppies, mollies, swordtails, and platies (amongst others). Unlike egg layers, livebearers give live birth to their young.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
Lt.
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok, IMO, neons would be ok in there, but only OK. But if I were you, I'd get 2 male, and 6 (4 would probably be OK) female guppies. They'll breed, yes, but you can just fish out the young and give/sell them to a LFS (local fish store) or let the adults eat the fry. Then I'd get 6 pygmy cories for the bottom. And ghost shrimp are fun too, plus if they die, they're only $00.25 a piece. A small price to pay for fun, active algae eating bottom feeders that you can get like 20 of.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I only suggested 1:1 due to the size or the tank. I agree with 1:2 being ideal.

For your size tank and if you don't want loads if fry, stick to 1:1 as I originally suggested.

The complete cycle won't complete in 1-2 weeks but nobody ever waits 5-6 weeks before adding fish. The fish help the nitrogen cycle after they have been added.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2OJO View Post
I only suggested 1:1 due to the size or the tank. I agree with 1:2 being ideal.

For your size tank and if you don't want loads if fry, stick to 1:1 as I originally suggested.

The complete cycle won't complete in 1-2 weeks but nobody ever waits 5-6 weeks before adding fish. The fish help the nitrogen cycle after they have been added.
Or they could just get males. I am really sorry to disagree. 1:1 will also result (most likely) in dead females due to harassment.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com