New Anemonae!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Well I ordered one from the LFS. It looks pretty good, what do you guys think?

Anyway, It was $35 but today he sold it to me for $30 for being a good customer (I guess)

PICT0838.sized.jpg

PICT0837.sized.jpg

PICT0835.sized.jpg

PICT0825.sized.jpg

Crap.... Today it got caught in the filter intake. Just a small chunk of it. I couldnt take it loose without ripping it up, so I shut the filter off to see what it would do. It looks like it is not going to do too good. Is it trash?

It'll recover. But you'll need to put a protective mesh over your filter's intake to prevent this from happening again... 8O

Yes I will do that. Its all "deflated" and not looking very well at all.

Its still caught in the intake, how am I going to pull it out without tearing it?

Anemone typically deflate when its stressed or expelling. That looks terrible but I think its still recoverable. You might have to tear it. :(

Tape an ice cube to a pair of tongs and hold the tongs near the foot. That should entice it to let go. Leave the PH off and don't try to pull him from there. Foot damage on top of what's happened is not going to encourage a favorable outcome. Deflating is a normal part of their behavior (especially when stressed) so I wouldn't take that shriveled up look as dooms day. Good luck with him. He was very pretty!

So he looks normal Phyl? I will try the ice cube thing.

I turned the PH off because the anemonae let go of the rock yesterday and was blowing around so I shut it off until it settled. I will have to get something to cover both intakes.

So it looks normal and OK? That filter is a Whisper 20, 100 GPH or so is all it is.

Well I managed to get it out of the intake (and got them all anemonae-safe).

I think it got itself out or something because it was not as bad as before.

Anyway, it looks as if it "grabbed" the heater, and then just fell apart or something, because its still grabbed onto the heater, but it looks like the majority of it is hanging by a thread from the part that is on the heater. Would this thing split? Or is this a bad sign and I should just get rid of it?

the pic does not look great. Hopefully it will recover, you will just have to wait and see. I will try drastically to get it off of the heater. Make sure it is unplugged and cooled off before trying the ice cube trick. Once it is off, get a small PVC pipe to slip your heater in to keep this from happening again. I have seen some pretty nasty burns on eels and anemones from heaters. This is not splitting behavior, it is survival behavior. Watch it closely. Have plenty of aged SW on hand and start running some fresh GAC to be pro-active. Good luck.

The heater never turns on anyway, the water is about 2 deg cooler than what I have the heater set at.

I guess I could switch out my bio-bags in the Whisper to get some fresh carbon going, would this be OK? I dont have the powerhead on right now because of the anemonae, so the only circulation is that filter right now.

It looks like it "melted" on the heater and the back glass, and it left a "melt trail" to the bottom of the tank where it is now.

Do you need to see the "melt" or do you know what I am speaking of?

OK here are the pics. The pics of the anemonae (unless its just a blob of whats left) is all I can see. I cannot see anymore than whats in this pic either.

I dont know where the anemonae is at right now (unless thats it).

Should I take the anemonae remains off the heater?

img_453457_0_d638169275aa22e8977770b9a348e1bb.jpg

img_453457_1_7394be94b0925a3ac3e0d0cb8fb664c5.jpg

If it were me, I would remove it. It does not sound good and does not seem to be rebounding. No sense risking the health of your entire tank. Run the GAC and do the PWC afterwords.

Check my other thread, The anemonae died, now two other fish are dead. I need to know whats happening.

Back
Top Bottom