New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minnowman

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just went to petco today and got a 1.5 gallon tetra water wonders kit. came with everything except gravel and decor. it came with 2 fake plants and i bought a coconut with moss growing on the top and put it in.i also put black gravel in it.now im just waiting for it to cycle. ill upload pictures when i get a chance.

i just went to petco today and got a 1.5 gallon tetra water wonders kit. came with everything except gravel and decor. it came with 2 fake plants and i bought a coconut with moss growing on the top and put it in.i also put black gravel in it.now im just waiting for it to cycle. ill upload pictures when i get a chance.

what did you put into the tank to make it start the cycle?

check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html

Welcome to AA.

What are you planning to put in the tank? It is not suitable for much at only 1.5 gals...

Also, how are you cycling the tank? Just setting it up and letting it run is not cycling.

Check out this link to get you started on an understanding of cycling a tank, and the nitrogen cycle:

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

it has a bio filter so i have to wait 2 weeks for the right bacteria to grow.
i plan on putting some glass shrimp in there from my local river and some minnows from the same place.

The bacteria will not grow without a source of ammonia. Did you read the link I posted for you?

The glass shrimp would be fine, that is a good idea. I would skip the minnows...

i would get a betta for that size tank if you really wanted a fish.

JOMA said:
i would get a betta for that size tank if you really wanted a fish.

No. A Betta should be in a five gallon minimum. Most people think they can be in the gallon bowls, but they can't. A one and a half gallon is not much better. Please only put a Betta in a five gallon or larger. I have one Betta, my beloved Allie, who has a ten gallon with filter and heater to himself.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I don't think a 1.5 is really suitable for fish... some inverts (shrimp/snails) could work out ok... thats about it.

fort384 said:
I don't think a 1.5 is really suitable for fish... some inverts (shrimp/snails) could work out ok... thats about it.

I agree. Shrimp tanks can be really cool.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom