New Aqueon 20G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishlove777

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New Aqueon 20G with 2 filters, bubbler, " aqua clear " whatever that is, hood, light, and some decorations for $55 (craigslist buy). Just gotta get my fishie, gravel, and "black moor safe" decorations. I filled it with well water, so I am letting it filter out for a week with the two 125GPH filter's. I added AquaSafe Conditioner and an entire Jungle Complete Water Care Kit. I will check the pH in about a week (it should be a 7 because of the Jungle kit). Then, if all is good and well, it will be time to get my black moor and very small algae eaters whom I have heard are masters at their job.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396838988894.jpg
    1396838988894.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 86
Black moors get way too big for your sized tank. They can get 12+ inches and poop a lot. For algae eaters I would look into otos, you could get 5.

I have done extensive research and have found that at minimum for one black moor, you should have 20G. I think I will leave the bottom empty until my plants grow. They typically do not get to 12". But can get that big. A 20G is fine for only one and the 1/4" bottom feeders I will get that eat constantly and move constantly.
I have taken the given decorations out and added driftwood for the pH. The pH in my water did not come down with the kit I bought. So, I did water changes with tap and added a different pH balancer. Hoping to have a healthy enough tank in a few days to put fish inside.

I have done extensive research and have found that at minimum for one black moor, you should have 20G. I think I will leave the bottom empty until my plants grow. They typically do not get to 12". But can get that big. A 20G is fine for only one and the 1/4" bottom feeders I will get that eat constantly and move constantly.
I have taken the given decorations out and added driftwood for the pH. The pH in my water did not come down with the kit I bought. So, I did water changes with tap and added a different pH balancer. Hoping to have a healthy enough tank in a few days to put fish inside.

The general rule of thumb is one inch of goldfish for 10 gallons size wise. I also ran it by aqadvisor and it said it will get too big. If you do decide to keep it in the 20, you would be looking at a 25-30% weekly wc. I would get him a 40b or a 55. That's my $0.02.

I have planned on AT LEAST 25% weekly WCs. Also, thought about maybe doing 10% say Tuesdays and Thursdays, and then Sundays doing 25% WC. I have a full feeding and healthy diet schedule made out along with weekly pH checks, etc. If he does get too big for this and I can afford a much bigger tank, I will get one. Right now this one is in my room on a dresser. I would really love a stand, and move the giant dresser maybe to the closest. That way in the future it would be possible for a bigger thank. But I think most black moors would be fine in this for now. I plan on getting a baby.

Now, I haven't don't freshwater in YEARS, but I do know some things. Black moors require AT LEAST a 30g tank. Their max size is 10", not 12". They are also unfit for a 20g tank. When getting fish you don't only look at their size, and bioload. You must factor in where they swim, if they will get hurt or hurt (by) something else. I don't see even with your increased water changes how the fish will be happy.

EDIT: Black Moors are also very slow swimmer who like to swim large areas peacefully. Unless it's a 20 long, the fish will be cut very short of swimming space.

Fish I would listen to the help that people are giving you.
Sure we can't stop you from getting your moor, but the moor will be dead from stunting In 2-3 years maybe less depending upon how your WC schedule goes. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

If any other fish I would like guppies or mollies. But they breed like crazy. I am afraid someone won't get me all males and I will end up with 200 fry and nowhere to get rid of them. One black moor can live in a 20G and won't fill the tank with babies, plus they are my favorite.

Fish I would listen to the help that people are giving you.
Sure we can't stop you from getting your moor, but the moor will be dead from stunting In 2-3 years maybe less depending upon how your WC schedule goes. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?

+1 that's the truth. He will have three times his length to swim and will barely be able to turn around if he reaches 8-10 inches.

Well I'm done with this thread as the op seems to have her mind set on something, I wish you good luck. Do you Know the nitrogen cycle though?

Well I'm done with this thread as the op seems to have her mind set on something, I wish you good luck. Do you Know the nitrogen cycle though?

I am researching the nitrogen cycle. I don't think when I commented, it got connected to yours. Any info I can use? I have an Apongeonous plant sprouting to help.

I am researching the nitrogen cycle. I don't think when I commented, it got connected to yours. Any info I can use? I have an Apongeonous plant sprouting to help.

I would speculate from what fishdude3233 is saying, is that no matter how many have told you that what you would like to do is not recommended, but you're going to do it anyways, he got fed up trying to offer great advice.

I would also speculate, based upon your own admission that you're still researching the nitrogen cycle kinda gives the impression to the more experienced hobbyists, what research you've done about how and what you're going to do, is simply not enough. Just my opinion.

I would speculate from what fishdude3233 is saying, is that no matter how many have told you that what you would like to do is not recommended, but you're going to do it anyways, he got fed up trying to offer great advice.

I would also speculate, based upon your own admission that you're still researching the nitrogen cycle kinda gives the impression to the more experienced hobbyists, what research you've done about how and what you're going to do, is simply not enough. Just my opinion.

Well nobody paid any attention that I have done extensive research and a lot had been from other bm owners and bm sites. Also, nobody paid any attention that I said if I do not get a bm, I would really like mollies or guppies. But I fear their breeding power and nowhere to rid of 200 fry. One bm would be a safe thing for me. I asked for info on nc. I have read some about it (AND WON'T GET A FISH UNTIL MY TANK IS SAFE nitrogen, nitrate, pH, gH, and every other _H, gen, trate and trite is right!) If you have an issue you take the fish and bugger off.

Well nobody paid any attention that I have done extensive research and a lot had been from other bm owners and bm sites. Also, nobody paid any attention that I said if I do not get a bm, I would really like mollies or guppies. But I fear their breeding power and nowhere to rid of 200 fry. One bm would be a safe thing for me. I asked for info on nc. I have read some about it (AND WON'T GET A FISH UNTIL MY TANK IS SAFE nitrogen, nitrate, pH, gH, and every other _H, gen, trate and trite is right!) If you have an issue you take the fish and bugger off.

We paid attention that you supposedly did extensive research. However you proved yourself wrong when looking at the nitrogen cycle, and that you can't keep a black moor in a 20.

Don't get otos until the tank is mature, at least 6 months. They are very sensitive and will starve in a new setup. Cory cats are great and if you get pygmies you can get a nice small shoal of them, at least 5 of them.

Don't get otos until the tank is mature, at least 6 months. They are very sensitive and will starve in a new setup. Cory cats are great and if you get pygmies you can get a nice small shoal of them, at least 5 of them.

Cory cats are the pinkish looking cat fish, correct? Growing up, I heard fish by different names. I thought about feeding sinking pellets to ottos cause I figured they would probably get them all before any nasty things like major ammonia or cloud would come about. But thank you for the time frame on those. I heard ottos and the cat fish can live together.

Back
Top Bottom