Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

new assassin snails

They finally came in at the lfs yesterday. They were about $6 each so I only picked up 2. But here's some blurry pics:

They're in a 5 gallon tank, which I plan on introducing shrimp to once I get rid of some pest snails.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very cool

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have they cleaned all the snails out yet? It looked like you had a ton of snails!
Old 03-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Did you get your snails from the live plants?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

The pest ones I mean
Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not yet, still a bunch of pest snails. I think theyre multiplying faster than the assassins can handle. And I do believe the snails came from plants ive ordered. I dont mind some but im now being over populated with mts snails.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebbie View Post
Not yet, still a bunch of pest snails. I think theyre multiplying faster than the assassins can handle. And I do believe the snails came from plants ive ordered. I dont mind some but im now being over populated with mts snails.
Ah, the mts. How I loath them, a few is ok but my 29 is overran by them. I have 8 assassins in the tank and they do a good job with the big ones. Every few weeks though I have to strain my sand to keep on top of the population.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:49 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990 View Post
Ah, the mts. How I loath them, a few is ok but my 29 is overran by them. I have 8 assassins in the tank and they do a good job with the big ones. Every few weeks though I have to strain my sand to keep on top of the population.
We just did the "Great Snail Purge" on our tank, went like this: arm in, picked up snail, squished it and disposed of it. Over and over, got rid of 20+ snails that way. We still have a bunch from the plants that I did not ask for so another purge may be in the future.

We just put a blanched cucumber in the tank tonight to try and draw some of the others out to get rid of. I made my husband do the squishing...
Old 04-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for the free mts snails and plants! If anyone's looking for mts snails I recommend zeb here. I got a large batch, lots of extras. Plus they're large.

Just as a side note, the pet store in hilo sells assassins as well if you're looking for more. I'll let you know the price next time I go.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, glad someone wanted some. On my threads I offerthem for free because they populate fast. Probabky me over feeding them? I am slowly trimming my tanks so I have more plants if interested. Im gonna make a thread un the sales section and slowky add new things as I clean my tanks. Olease let me jnow how much the snails are. If its worth it I can drive over but thats $25+ in gas.

Tags
assassin, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com