Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #11

alot of fish are shy at first. plecos definently. bettas mine was at first looked really depressed but now he's great.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks I was just doing some reading online and it seems to be fairly normal for them to be a bit timid at the start. My last little guy was given to me complete with tank so he'd already had time to get used to his environment. It's really funny though cos in the store the newbie (Kurt) was in a tiny little jar and flaring like crazy. My jar! Now that he's in a lovely big tank with plants and 'toys' he just hides behind his water heater and only comes near me when I have food. I'm sure he'll come round. It'll probably help if I stop hovering by the tank checking on him every two minutes like a neurotic new mother Also he doesn't seem to be much of a fan of my psychadelic pink, purple and blue PJs. Prefers me just in black. Maybe we accidently picked an emo

Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
How is Kurt doing now? And now worries about him sleeping next to filter. I find my
Little guy and my snails doing that nearly every day...and have yet to have a problem
Old 06-06-2011, 01:53 AM   #14

Kurt has been re-named Piglet as he eats and looks a little bit like like one with his little upturned nose. He certainly got over his shyness quickly and is now plenty feisty and friendly.

I'm having issues at the moment with fin and tail rot ... I think he may have come to me complete with a slight fungal infection but I'm treating it with Multi Cure, aquarium salt and 1/5 of the normal dose of MelaFix and I'm pretty sure he's on the mend. I'm also doing 50% water changes every 3 days and have cranked up his heater to 28 degrees C (it's sitting on around 26). When he starts showing some decent re-growth I'll take him off the Multi Cure and keep using the salt and MelaFix for a couple of weeks.

It hasn't affected his personality any. He's still dancing around chasing bubbles, eating like a little piggy and yes ... sleeping up against the filter. What snails do you have? I was considering buying one when he's all better ... or maybe a couple of ghost shrimp.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just 2 mystery snails. If you are looking for some for Piglet, wait until he is healed and you have removed the salt from the aquarium. I would look at nerite snails (FAR less messy than apple/mystery) or Amano shrimp.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vice View Post
Kurt has been re-named Piglet as he eats and looks a little bit like like one with his little upturned nose. He certainly got over his shyness quickly and is now plenty feisty and friendly.

I'm having issues at the moment with fin and tail rot ... I think he may have come to me complete with a slight fungal infection but I'm treating it with Multi Cure, aquarium salt and 1/5 of the normal dose of MelaFix and I'm pretty sure he's on the mend. I'm also doing 50% water changes every 3 days and have cranked up his heater to 28 degrees C (it's sitting on around 26). When he starts showing some decent re-growth I'll take him off the Multi Cure and keep using the salt and MelaFix for a couple of weeks.

It hasn't affected his personality any. He's still dancing around chasing bubbles, eating like a little piggy and yes ... sleeping up against the filter. What snails do you have? I was considering buying one when he's all better ... or maybe a couple of ghost shrimp.
I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard that you're not supposed to use Melafix with bettas as it can coat their labyrinth organ and make it hard (impossible?) for them to breathe. At the very least, you should check into the accuracy of this - for Piglet's sake!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally use BettsMax as it's specifically formulated for bettas, or rather Anabatids. I have never heard of melaflix being detrimental when being dosed properly for a betta (1/5th strength)
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #18

JackSpades: I'm certainly no expert, but I've heard that you're not supposed to use Melafix with bettas as it can coat their labyrinth organ and make it hard (impossible?) for them to breathe. At the very least, you should check into the accuracy of this - for Piglet's sake!

I read the same thing AFTER I'd already dumped the full dose in the tank Then I freaked out and had to do a really quick water change I did some more reading and people seem really divided on the whole issue but I figured that it was better to be safe than sorry and took him down to a 1/5 of the dose (the same concentrate as BettaFix). No problems so far.

Also while I have you guys there one of the other members suggested that after 11 days aquarium salt starts to damage little fishy organs. I'd never heard that before and I don't want to over-medicate. I also don't want to not medicate for long enough and create med resistant fungus / bacteria. What do you guys think? I've had him on the Multi Cure for six days and his fins aren't getting any worse ... not much re-growth but I'm guessing that takes time. I was planning on taking him off the Multi Cure after 9 days but keeping him on salt and MelaFix for a bit longer to help his fins re-grow. What do you guys think?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I'm not sure about salt having an upper bound on its permitted time, but it won't hurt the way you're saying. Salt isn't a medicine, so you won't create resistant strains of anything.

The way salt helps is by creating osmotic pressure in bacteria so that they dry out (their internal water tries to balance the external salt concentration). The fish aren't harmed because they're more complex creatures than bacteria and have kidneys (or, at least, some analogous organ).
Old 06-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #20

Cheers for the advise. He's not showing any signs of stress at the moment so I figure I'll keep going as planned. The big thing I'm trying to avoid is killing off most but not all of the bacteria with the Multi Cure and then ending up in the same position in two weeks time. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to keep up the salt and MelaFix for an extra week just to make sure.

Tags
baby, betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com