Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New Baby Betta Advice Wanted

Hi Guys

My name's Sara ... it was taken so I'm going by my alias Vice. I live in Melbourne, Australian and am the proud new owner of a Betta Splenden named Kurt. He is yellow and blue and very pretty. I'm fairly new at keeping fish and was just wondering if you folks could help me out with some advice.

1. I have a Dymax IQ3 Mini Acrylic Aquarium (8 litres / 2 U.S. Gallons) with a 25 watt temp. controlled water heater set to 26 deg. C. and while the set up looks great I'm having an issue with the filter. Even on the lowest setting it still blows the poor little guy over which does not make for a happy fish. Any suggestions on maybe a different pump or how to reduce the flow?

2. The second question is I wanted to get Kurt a live plant and some friends (of the non snack variety). I was thinking maybe 7 or so Ghost Shrimp and a Mystery Snail for friends. Is this a good idea and does anyone have any suggestions for plants that would improve the water quality and give him some good hidey holes?

Think that's about it for now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Alot of bettas don't like a flow. However, they will adapt to it. One of mines used to just swim into the flow. But good luck with kurt

Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try turning it on for an hour or so at a time. He's such a sook though. He freaks out a bit and then hides under a rock and won't come out until I turn it off
Old 05-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #4

You could get him some fishy friends if he was in a ten gallon. Then the flow wouldn't bother him as much. Betta's personalities really come out best in a ten gallon, and it gives him room to really stretch his fins. If a ten is unavailable, a 5 would put you at the bare minimum for bettas. ten gallons are really cheap to set up! I got mine for 10$! I do suggest that you cycle this 10, 5, or 2 gallon however, (see link in signature), and go out and buy the API freshwater master kit. Welcome to AA!
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #5

Thanks guys. He's a bit happier now. Still sulking but not hiding under any rocks. Thanks Lauren. I am soooo confused about ideal spaces for Bettas. Before Kurt I had one that a friend gave me (Paul). (I know I'm weird with the human pet names. My cat is Barry). Anyay Paul lived in a tiny fish bowl ... well not tiny tiny but it wouldn't have been much more than two litres. He had no filtration or heater and seemed really active and happy. We had him for about a year and apparantly he was around 8 months when we got him. He died recently of a mystery illness (no obvious fungal paracite type things or raised scales). I really wanted to upgrade to more ideal conditions if I got another one and did some reasearch online and went to a reputable aquarium as aposed to a pet shop. The tank we got was the one they recommended and cost $125 ... now I'm worried it's not big enough. The info I've seen online seems to recommend everything from a 1 gallon tank to a 20 gallon tank.
I'll have a look at the info you sent me on cycling.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #6

Definitely have a look at the link. I'm sorry about your other betta. As for size requirements, 20 gallons is way too strict lol. One gallon is way too small though. My advice is that 5 gallons is the minimum, but 10 makes them SO much happier. I have a betta in my ten gallon, and he uses every inch of that tank lol.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have the same tank as you, do you find it loses water easily?
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #8

Hey. Not having too many problems with water loss as yet but it's bloody freezing in Melbourne at the moment so possibly it's just not warm enough to evaporate anything I left the filter on overnight and he seems to be dealing with it better although I still don't think he's a big fan. He seems to alternate between playing with it and hiding from it. Bovboy do you use a water heater in your tank? I've got a 25 watt. one set on 26 deg. C. (it's temp controlled so switches off when it's hit temperature and then switches back on when it's too cold) but have heard horror stories about people accidently making fish soup. Also how often do you do a full water change?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have a heater again 25 watt wit alternate switchin set at 26 degrees aswell, I belieive just keep an eye on the temp with a thermometer and it should be fine. I change 25% once a fortnight: i should do it more but it doesn't really get dirty?!
Old 05-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #10

Cheers. I used your plant trick and he seems to be dealing better with the flow from the pump. His new thing is sleeping up against the filter at night cos for some strange reasom he seems to like the suction. He's deff. an odd one. He's really shy for a fighter. My last one went nuts every time we went into the room (dancing around like an idiot and begging for food) but this one just peeks at us from behind his heater and then hides his head under a rock I think he's slowly getting more confident. He was doing a bit of exploring and playing with his plant this morning (when he didn't think I was watching). Has anyone else had shy fish when they first brought them home?

Tags
baby, betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com