New baby toad...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Not sure where this fits in this forum but we have a new little friend and he still has his little tail attached. I'm trying to plan for the future and want to know what I can feed him (after he comes out of the water) until he gets a little bigger. I can tell how big he is going to be when he comes out of the water in a few days and there is no way he could fit a pinhead cricket in his mouth. He's a skinny little guy that I've been caring for since he hatched from his egg. I'm hoping I can raise him until he gets to be full size. When he gets to be full size he's going to be pretty independent since he will be in a large outdoor in-closure with his friends. I know what you typically feed these guys but this particular one is abnormally small and I need something tiny to feed him until I can get his weight up. Thanks in advance for any responses!

NatureFish
????

They probably make some type of pellets. Or you can attract fruit flies and feed them to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wingless? He probably won't eat it if its not alive.

NatureFish
????

Ok I can't go out and get anything for him tonight so I'm going to have to find something in my yard for him. Any food suggestions? I live in Texas and its pretty hot so I've got lots of options still. There really isn't any fruit flys and hardly anything is small enough. Is there any plants he might eat? Lettuce maybe? I've got betta pellets? Lol I'm desperate to find something I have at home.

NatureFish
????

Worms are hard to come by, we are in a drought...

NatureFish
????

He came out of the water today. Does he need food now or can he wait for a few days?

NatureFish
????

Not familiar with Texas, but here in Florida you can't avoid bugs lol. It's been raining everyday.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol I feel exotic being from another part of U.S!

NatureFish
????

Wingless fruit flies are alive, and actually do have wings, but they can't fly. They're typically cultured and fed to dart frogs and very small reptiles. Should be fine for a while, will take some time to finish absorbing the tail. Not likely to eat anything aside from tiny live bugs though.

Ok thanks guys! I'll see if I can't find any wingless flys at my LPS.

NatureFish
????

I just went to my LPS and found the wingless/flightless flies and put them in front of him and he has shown no interest. Is there anything I can do to make it look extra yummy to him?

NatureFish
????

Those were like $10 so I hope he eats them.

NatureFish
????

His focus seems to be on escaping...do you think he's not hungry since his nub of a tail isn't fully absorbed? He's hopping around so he's not sick.

NatureFish
????

I let him go hoping he will survive on his own. He was a native species anyway so it's not a problem.

NatureFish
????

Back
Top Bottom