new betta added to my collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

duromega

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yellow crown tail

Attachments

• image-3585600303.jpg
    image-3585600303.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1041250586.jpg
    image-1041250586.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 111
I have never had a betta in a tank

I use to have 100's of bettas in soda bottles no problems so far

animal abuse ?

One betta in a 2 litter soda bottle it's enough space for a single betta

So those pet-shop that sells bettas are animal abusers ? They put the bettas in little bowls and the bettas sit there for moths

animal abuse ?

One betta in a 2 litter soda bottle it's enough space for a single betta

So those pet-shop that sells bettas are animal abusers ? They put the bettas in little bowls and the bettas sit there for moths

YES yes and yes. They are. Its all about sales with the pet stores. Bettas are somewhat disposable to them. Of course a Betta can SURVIVE in a cup, and a dog can SURVIVE in a crate. But is that really any sort of life for that animal? Do whatever you want with your fish, but it is definitely kinder to them to give them space, and plants, and heat.

Not to be mean but the minimum size should be Atleast 1 gallon. If your not gonna put him in a tank, Atleast go get a 1 gallon fish bowl for the lil guy. He is definitely not happy in the small thing.

Pretty fish though, nice find! :)

I agree with Donica and warrior. Please give the little guy some room at least:(

Would you like to live in an 8X10 cubicle? I mean its not like you NEEED a bed and a bathroom to survive......LIKE I SAID before, do whatever you want with your fish, but you're not going to suceed in making everybody else feel/look stupid for saying that the animal would have a better quality of life in a larger tank.

Since you have 3 betta bowls you could consider getting a 10g with heater and filter and building dividers to make 3 'tanks' then you could decorate each one really neat too! :)

Alright guys. Lets keep personal attacks out of this. If the OP wishes to keep his betta in a bowl that is his choice. All we can do is provide information for him to make an educated decision.

To the OP, Bettas thrive in warmer temperatures (80f). It can be hard to keep the temperature of a bowl at a constant 80f because of the small amount if water. Smaller bowls can be harder to keep clean. The combination of dirtier water, ever changing temperature and the lack for proper places to rest and hide can cause stress for the fish. Stress often results in a lowered immune system that then leads to disease. Fin rot and bacterial infections being the most common.

Although it is possible to keep a betta in a bowl, the over all health and well being of the fish is compromised in such a small space. Most of the members of this forum believe in giving their fish the best possible living conditions which evolves supplying them with larger tank, places to hide, clean water and adequate nutrition.

Last edited:
Ability to survive is not the same thing as quality of life. Several studies from the 70's show that the life cycle of a betta in a bowl is between 2 to 4 years, but it jumps to 5 to 7 years if quality of water and thermal regulation is improved.

The consentration of ammonia is the mass of ammonia divided by the volume of water. Bigger tanks are just a more intelligent way to cater to the basic needs of the animal. But again, people have bengal tigers inside bathrooms in New York City. It is just not too smart. Your call.

Last edited:
Okay I'm gonna put my new betta in my 90G and then I'm gonna commit suicide ?

Wow, you're a real cool dude *sarcasm*

Think of it this way, if you had to live in 1 room the rest of your life would you rather it be 2x2 or 12x12? Sure you can survive in either just fine, but one is obviously much more comfortable.

Wow, you're a real cool dude *sarcasm*

Think of it this way, if you had to live in 1 room the rest of your life would you rather it be 2x2 or 12x12? Sure you can survive in either just fine, but one is obviously much more comfortable.

Yeaaaah....I already tried this type of analogy....he doesn't get it. I vote we discontinue this thread.

You Don't have to get smart we're just trying to help you and we want the best for your new pet!

Why not give the beautiful guy what he deserves instead of keeping him In that little cup...

He is just a combination of young and not very bright. I am assuming one and testifying to the other, since we already collected enough evidence about his struggle to think on a more sophisticated level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom