New catfish! (Cory mystery solved)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankGirl

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story, sorry!

The other day I was talking to a friend of mine that she needed to come over and ID my cory cats, since she has a particular interest in aquarium catfish and I really did not know what kind I had. I have had them for 3-4 years now and I never see them at the LFS (which is where I got them originally) and I had no idea what they were, though based on pics on Planetcatfish.com I thought they were C. delphax. She said she'd be happy to come over and help me with that.

I went to the LFS to get some C. paleatus for a friend, since I have a Q-tank set up right now, and lo and behold, what do I see but 3 C. delphax, and they look exactly like what I have! I could not beleive the coincidence, since I always check out corys at the LFS and never see mine. I got the three that they had.

Here they are, and if anyone thinks they are not C. delphax please let me know, I don't want the mystery to continue!

normal_Corydoras%20delphax%20Apr%202005.jpg

Hrm.. My petstore dosnt even put the scientific name up. I just recently bought a cory that looks exactly like that under the name of spotted cory. But ofcourse, they also called a oscar a "big mouth gold fish"before to so :roll:

You are right - common names cause so much confusion. Spotted cories are "usually" C. paleatus, which have several color patterns, but it is so much better to use a scientific name. I think the C. delphax actually has several color morphs as well and I think some were given a different name before it was determined that they belonged under C. delphax. It is so confusing, and it changes all the time! These are close enough to what I already have (though mine are bigger as adults) that I am very happy with the find.

well, although I can't help in identification, I must say that they are quite adorable cories!

Wow TG. You might have just helped me ID some cories. :D I bought four young panda cories about a year ago but as they matured and colored up, only one of them now looks like a panda. The others are banded and spotted like in your pics. Very nice cats. Congrats on the acquisition!!

Back
Top Bottom