New cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bl80

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a few other Malawi (?) ele yellow and aurora (?) species on order and will be here tues :) These I was told will be about 4-5 inches as will the other few that are coming. They too are the same size. New to cichlids, so hope all goes well!!! If they don't get along, guess I'll open up another tank :) I've had awesome luck over the past 20 or so yrs with tropicals, time to try something new. Anyone know what these types are? One looks to be a golden mbuna ( named steeley for the Steelers by my son lol) the other two no idea. Thx :)

Last edited:
You have an auratus, red zebra, and a peacock (Auloncara sp.). The peacock may get beat up depending on the tank size. The auratus may be too agressive to stay in there permanently (they are one of the if not the most aggressive type of mbuna).

If the tank is not big enough or there are too many mbunas adding peacocks usually ends up bad for the peacocks. They are absolutely beautiful, but if tossed in a mbuna tank they usually have no chance of getting to their full potential.

Adding 4-5" individuals to a tank with seemingly such small fish will also probably lead to a bad end for the small individuals.

Thx for the names. The others I'm getting are only about 1.5 - 2 inches same as these ones. Is the peacock the blueish one? And the mean one the striped one? That one is very active :) thx for your help.... I'm looking forward to this adventure. They are in a 55 g till this spring when I set up my 150g.

150 gallons will help a lot. I had a 220 running amazingly well at the shop I was running.

Yes, the peacock is the bluish one (looks like he should have some red come out around the shoulders) and the auratus is the striped one.

I would recommend getting rid of the auratus now before it has done damage, I just think it it way too likely to happen.

I would also add most peacocks. They are much more peaceful, more colorful, and just easier to deal with.

I have electric yellow and aurora coming. My son will have s 55 eve too. Will these be ok or should I look for other options? We really like the peacock I'll def get more

Back
Top Bottom