New Clam Pic!! (Need Info)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, the guy at the lfs told me this was a max clam, but I am not to sure. What do you all think?

Also what can I do to help it thrive?

TIA! :wink:

f529b68a.jpg

Maxima and Crocea are high light, rock dwellers. Place him up close to the lights in a crevice etc. in your rock work. It will attach itself permanently using bysall threads, so placing the clam on a small moveable rock or a half-shell is a good idea. Nice looking clam (y)

I took your advice to move it and it had dug its threads about 2 inches down in the sand. Is this normal of a rock dwelling clam? Anyway I put it on a small peice of lr so I could move it around when it attaches.

Do I direct feed it, and also what are some signs of stress that I can watch out for?

TIA! :wink:

PS. I didnt jerk it up, it came up real easy.

I could look it up on the net, and I will, but I want your experience with them please.

BTW. This was a shameless bump.......

We just posted some pics of some crocea that we bought yesterday and they look very much like this but yours has deeper fluted sides. they are in my gallery.

It looks like a Crocea clam to me. It will need hight light to thrive as well as suplimental feeding. DTs or Phytofeast would do the trick for you.

Hey Rev, being a Crocea(or even a Maxima-still not positive) the general consensus is they NEED MH to thrive. Fluorescents just aren't intense enough. You may be able to keep it alive, but it wouldn't surprise me if it browned out in a few weeks or months. :| That is what I read while researching before buying mine- I have no first hand experience w/ this though.That being said, I think your best bet would be target feeding it DT's phyto (it's the best phyto out there, IMO) once or twice a week. As far as attaching goes, it can happen in 24-48 hours or months. FWIW, mine wouldn't attach until I moved it from my sandbed to about 3/4ths the way up my tank, almost directly under a MH. IME, they are very light needy, they can handle everyting you can throw at them and love it!

they'll attach within a few days if not overnight, that definitly looks like a crocea. any phyto plankton type food should do, something to watch are spikes in alk,ph, ca they seem to stress when these levels arent stable. also if it looks like the "mouth" part is open very wide for a period of time this is a sign of stress.

Wow I was under the impression I could keep this clam under my current lighting. Guess I was wrong.

I guess I am going to go ahead and do it. I am going to get a retrofit kit with 2 250w MH 14k and use my cf that I already have. I will build a new hood for them hopefully Saturday. Now all thats left is telling the wife....... :roll:

I am going to get a retrofit kit with 2 250w MH 14k
Great choice, you will be very happy. Wait until you see the shimmer MH's create in the water, just like natural sunlight. It's very cool! Not to mention, everything in your tank will appreciate it w/ some caution. Having enough lighting will never be an issue again! Though you could keep a Derasa, Squamosa, or Hippo clam w/ what you have if your interested. Good luck.

How long do you think it will be fine until I get the MH's? I have placed it about 3 inches from the top of the water, and will feed it some microplankton evry so often.

Back
Top Bottom