Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No tank mates for convicts? Huh, I kept a polypterus senegalus with a breeding pair of convicts for years. The polypterus was very good at controlling the population of baby convicts and while he was often chased away I never saw any damage to his armor.

The full grown convicts were much too large for the polypterus to swallow (though I had seen the polypterus grab one [of the convicts] by the fin and toss it aside as they were both going for the same food pellet).

Old 01-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribensis12 View Post
First off, Jack Dempsy's are not nice fish, note their name sake, the famous early 1900's boxer Jack Dempsy. Second, they get huge. No wayy you can put that guy in a 29, or 38. Pleco's, will get beaten up. I assume your talking about the common one, correct?( the little tiny one's in the tanks that sellf or 4 dollars apiece). They get over a foot long, minnimum tank size, 55 gallons, plus they produce alot of waste.

I don't see anything wrong with a pair in a 29 gallon tank ( thats what i have, well now they are in a 20g). They do need alot of rock's and caves though to establish territory, or there will be fights.
yep 55 minimum for a single JD. You could get a pleco but be warned common pleco gets much too large for a 29. Check out the BN's.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Breeding convicts have been known to damage Pleco's armor and then eventually kill them or the plecos die of stress. I don't suggest any tank mates, especially for a 29G. If you have algae problems, just do some work and whip it off, or use a mag float.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

pics later camera still dead. can you keep any kinds of plants with convicts?
Old 01-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nope, they will dig them out. Plastic plants are the best option.

Quote:
No tank mates for convicts? Huh, I kept a polypterus senegalus with a breeding pair of convicts for years. The polypterus was very good at controlling the population of baby convicts and while he was often chased away I never saw any damage to his armor.

The full grown convicts were much too large for the polypterus to swallow (though I had seen the polypterus grab one [of the convicts] by the fin and toss it aside as they were both going for the same food pellet).
Yeah, not in a 29 g.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've seen a lot of people with plants in cichlid tanks, just not a lot of plants, maybe 1 or 2 background plants to frame off the tank. In the back corners. They still might end up digging them up but it doesn't take much to just push them back in the substrate, but yeah plastic plants are better, but live are always nice.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok thanks/ i have some plastic ones so i'll go that route.

ok i offically HATE my mothers camera. all money that i make on fish goes directly to a new camera.

Any suggestions on cameras? preferably under $100. thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:30 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly, i hat eto sound so obvious, but the higher the Megapixel's the better. Brands dont amtter that much, obviously shoot for a familiar brand if you can afford it. Mine is a Kodak 8.2 Megapixel that takes decent shots. I got it for christmas, including memory card it was probably 105 dollars.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribensis12 View Post
Honestly, i hat eto sound so obvious, but the higher the Megapixel's the better. Brands dont amtter that much, obviously shoot for a familiar brand if you can afford it. Mine is a Kodak 8.2 Megapixel that takes decent shots. I got it for christmas, including memory card it was probably 105 dollars.
Nah, that is a common misconception. Once you reach a level of megapixels it is all on the size of the CCD and the quality of the optics used.
Old 01-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
Once you reach a level of megapixels
what level is that

Tags
convict, convicts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com