New Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly can't think of a camera that takes reallly good pictures for around $100. I know the one i'm planning on getting is $500 and it's a Nikon 60D, takes very good pictures.

yeah i know. but i dont have a ton of money right now and the only thing im making is money from my mollie babies and may be some for my b-day tommorow. but i dont have $500 a $150 camera is my limit.

ok thanks/ i have some plastic ones so i'll go that route.

ok i offically HATE my mothers camera. all money that i make on fish goes directly to a new camera.

Any suggestions on cameras? preferably under $100. thanks.

money that you make on fish? I hope you don't mean by selling convicts? The aquaria of the world are overpopulated with Arthocentrus nigrofasciatus. You'll be lucky if you can get rid of the fry without having to pay someone to take them. Although my pirembeba finds them quite tasty if you have too many and are near the DC area.

^ Yea, if you CAN sell them, we are talking a quarter a piece. Most places around here won't take them for free!

I have noticed that my camera dosent take the best fish photo's though. I would think because its picutring whats in the water. It takes perfect regular pictures.

I honestly can't think of a camera that takes reallly good pictures for around $100. I know the one i'm planning on getting is $500 and it's a Nikon 60D, takes very good pictures.

I can think of plenty of cameras that cost around $100 that take good pictures... and many of them use film!

Actually, a lot of professional photographers will carry basic point and shoot cameras around with them as their "every day" cameras and only use their good ones on a planned shoot.

Its all about the skill level of the operator. Knowing the limitations of your camera, knowing how to manipulate light, etc. A very basic and very cheep digital camera can still be a powerful tool. Unless you do understand phototgraphy (not sure what your skill level is), you are probably wasting your money with the 60D as there are a plethora of features that you will probably never use since you will never leave auto mode.

as for megapixels, after 6MP, it *doesnt* matter unless you are planning on printing prints larger than 8x10 from images that you heavily crop. on the web, images are supposed to be about 72dpi... the only thing that higher megapixels do here is make the image bigger... not better quality.... and this will have dimnishing returns as with low dpi's, you will start to see pixelation much earlier.

Mike, I suggest that you not worry about the high megapixel nonsesne. When you look for your camera, there are certain features that you must have to be able to photograph fish... high shutter speed (in the 90 - 250 millisecond range), ability to work in lower light (wide aperture), and the ability to do macro and/or to accept a macro ring. Also look for a camera that has as big an OPTICAL zoom as possible... ignore the digital zoom as all that does is crop your picture (and consequently move you to pixelation faster) instead of actually zooming.
Some other features that are useful... ability to control the (simulated) ISO, and white ballance... both auto and controllable.... actually, I personally would put the white ballance in the manditory category.

for more info on the megapixel myth, check out The Megapixel Myth

Oh... and if you really want a DSLR camera, I would check out the Canon 20D... you can pick them up used with a lens on ebay for somewhere around $150. It is a really good camera and is underappreciated since Canon has come out with cameras with higher megapixel models. It would be more that enough for what you are wanting to do.

thanks for the advice guys but i got a 10mp camera for my birthday today. Its a PENTAX Optio . :D is it a good camera? ill get lots of pics later :D

^ exactly. I would assume its a good camera. If it isnt, it's better than nothing. Now lets see those pics!

kkk. heres some pics. sorry no convict pics yet. i will have them posted by tommorow at latest.
the one on the left is 1 of my otttos surrounded by male endlers. the one on the right is my dog. oh and yes i know the outside of the tank is dirty. its clean now.

ok heres everyone. the first pic is the smallest female. the 2nd one is the smallest male. the 3rd one is the biggest female. the 4th one is the 2nd biggest female. the 5th one is the 2nd biggest male and the 6th one is the biggest male. the 2 smallest fish the first 2 pics are a pair. the 2 medium sized fish ( pic 4 and 5 ) are a pair, and the 2 biggest fish are a pair ( pic 3 and 6 )

I suggest sticking with the smallest male and female pair. The reason why it would be better to get the smaller ones is because you will get the most spawns out of them as possible, which is what you want if you plan on selling them.

Back
Top Bottom