Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I honestly can't think of a camera that takes reallly good pictures for around $100. I know the one i'm planning on getting is $500 and it's a Nikon 60D, takes very good pictures.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah i know. but i dont have a ton of money right now and the only thing im making is money from my mollie babies and may be some for my b-day tommorow. but i dont have $500 a $150 camera is my limit.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well honestly, I jsut wouldn't buy a cheap camera, cameras are not something you dont want to cheap out on.

But it's your opion so do what you want.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike47517 View Post
ok thanks/ i have some plastic ones so i'll go that route.

ok i offically HATE my mothers camera. all money that i make on fish goes directly to a new camera.

Any suggestions on cameras? preferably under $100. thanks.
money that you make on fish? I hope you don't mean by selling convicts? The aquaria of the world are overpopulated with Arthocentrus nigrofasciatus. You'll be lucky if you can get rid of the fry without having to pay someone to take them. Although my pirembeba finds them quite tasty if you have too many and are near the DC area.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:36 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

^ Yea, if you CAN sell them, we are talking a quarter a piece. Most places around here won't take them for free!
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike47517 View Post
what level is that
That is a fairly open ended question. What types of pictures will you be taking -> what will you be doing with the pictures?

You can find many basic guides on the internet and there are even enthusiast sites that can show you image results from multiple cameras in the same price range.

Here is a place where you can start: Prosumer Camera Group Test Q4 2008 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review
Old 01-14-2009, 07:44 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have noticed that my camera dosent take the best fish photo's though. I would think because its picutring whats in the water. It takes perfect regular pictures.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCrazyBenBOMB View Post
I honestly can't think of a camera that takes reallly good pictures for around $100. I know the one i'm planning on getting is $500 and it's a Nikon 60D, takes very good pictures.

I can think of plenty of cameras that cost around $100 that take good pictures... and many of them use film!

Actually, a lot of professional photographers will carry basic point and shoot cameras around with them as their "every day" cameras and only use their good ones on a planned shoot.

Its all about the skill level of the operator. Knowing the limitations of your camera, knowing how to manipulate light, etc. A very basic and very cheep digital camera can still be a powerful tool. Unless you do understand phototgraphy (not sure what your skill level is), you are probably wasting your money with the 60D as there are a plethora of features that you will probably never use since you will never leave auto mode.

as for megapixels, after 6MP, it *doesnt* matter unless you are planning on printing prints larger than 8x10 from images that you heavily crop. on the web, images are supposed to be about 72dpi... the only thing that higher megapixels do here is make the image bigger... not better quality.... and this will have dimnishing returns as with low dpi's, you will start to see pixelation much earlier.

Mike, I suggest that you not worry about the high megapixel nonsesne. When you look for your camera, there are certain features that you must have to be able to photograph fish... high shutter speed (in the 90 - 250 millisecond range), ability to work in lower light (wide aperture), and the ability to do macro and/or to accept a macro ring. Also look for a camera that has as big an OPTICAL zoom as possible... ignore the digital zoom as all that does is crop your picture (and consequently move you to pixelation faster) instead of actually zooming.
Some other features that are useful... ability to control the (simulated) ISO, and white ballance... both auto and controllable.... actually, I personally would put the white ballance in the manditory category.

for more info on the megapixel myth, check out The Megapixel Myth

Oh... and if you really want a DSLR camera, I would check out the Canon 20D... you can pick them up used with a lens on ebay for somewhere around $150. It is a really good camera and is underappreciated since Canon has come out with cameras with higher megapixel models. It would be more that enough for what you are wanting to do.
55Gal - Dry-Docked... wetness coming soon... I hope...
JasonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks for the advice guys but i got a 10mp camera for my birthday today. Its a PENTAX Optio . is it a good camera? ill get lots of pics later
Old 01-15-2009, 04:26 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol guess no one really knows

Tags
convict, convicts

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com