Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New Discus

Well, I picked up 8 new discus last Wednesday that I plan on using for future breeders once I grow them out several more inches. I got four high body snakeskins that are 3" and four leopards that are 3.5". They are all in my 29g currently and are showing nice coloration already. They get more and more color every day. These babies are nice and round and the high bodies have some nice finnage. Hoping I'll get 3 pairs out of this group. Enough with the chatting, I know you want pics! Sorry, but they were a little stressed since I just did a 100% water change for them. They were up and at it within 5 minutes eating bloodworms that you can see in some of the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 063.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	16884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 064.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	16885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 065.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	16886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 060.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	16887  

Old 01-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very nice. I would put them in something a little bigger than a 29 for pairing off. Sometihng like a 55. The agression will get pretty bad in that tank because of it. Also, you have nothing in their for the fish to make a territory, making it more unlikely to pair off. I would stay away from 100 percent water changes. To stressful. I would aim more for 50 percent.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

They are beautiful, I bet those cost you a lot of those green pieces of paper

Where do you have all these tanks? You have about a million tanks lol.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Gorgeous fish. I hope they pair off for you.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:45 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kribensis12 View Post
Very nice. I would put them in something a little bigger than a 29 for pairing off. Sometihng like a 55. The agression will get pretty bad in that tank because of it. Also, you have nothing in their for the fish to make a territory, making it more unlikely to pair off. I would stay away from 100 percent water changes. To stressful. I would aim more for 50 percent.
Thanks for the advice, but I know what I'm doing when it comes to growing them out. I plan to keep them in the 29 until they are about 4" each and then I'll move them over to my 55g. Water changes are a big part of growing out discus, the more the better. Breeders in Asia often do 100% water changes 3-4 times per day along with 10 feedings. It only helps to do water changes. Putting them in the 55g any earlier only means more water changes. They won't start to pair until they are 5+" so they are perfectly fine in the 29 for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCrazyBenBOMB View Post
They are beautiful, I bet those cost you a lot of those green pieces of paper

Where do you have all these tanks? You have about a million tanks lol.
Glad you like them Ben. The cost of the fish wasn't too bad. Nothing that I wasn't willing to pay at least. I could easily make the money back that I spent for them with a single spawn. If I get a nice pair that goes proven for me I'll make about double what I paid for them, assuming that someone is willing to pick them up.

I've only got 8 tanks and find myself in short supply of room seeing as how 4 of those are 10g tanks. They are set up in my "fish room" except for my 100g community tank that's in between the kitchen and living room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz View Post
Gorgeous fish. I hope they pair off for you.
Thanks Anne. Hopefully in about 4-5 months I'll be seeing some spawning! I can't stop my other pair from laying. Every week to the day they lay for me. They just laid again tonight for the 5th time. I have no room for them otherwise I'd put them into their own 29g. I've actually contemplated moving them into one of my 10g tanks next Wednesday morning before they spawn. I heard that Jack Wattley did an article a while back where he interviewed a friend of his that was very successful at breeding discus in a 10g tank... no joke. I'd remove the female back to the community tank after spawning and let the father raise them for a week and a half to 2 weeks before moving the fry over to a 29 if successful.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look good. I hope they were worth the price. i guess you'll find out in a few months. lol
Old 01-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anything I own is always worth the price to me. It's not hard for me to spend that kind of money since discus have relatively long lifespans and should live 10 years or more on average if proper care is given. Plus, they are more of a "pet" like a dog or cat. Mine are already eating out of my hand and the ones in my community tank are all so used to me that I can actually "hold them" in the water and they seem to actually like it. Discus are definitely one of the smarter fish and are capable of higher level thinking from what I have seen. They are more enjoyable to have than something like a tank full of Endlers or dwarf shirmp, which I have many of. I basically use those tanks to pay for my discus, rams, angels, etc. Even if they don't spawn, which is pretty doutbful that they don't eventually, they will have a place in my community tank or will make excellent fish for someone's tank should I decide to sell them when they are larger.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
CTD
Aquarium Advice Freak

Very nice Fins on those Discus!
Old 01-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Gorgeous!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm more impressed with the roundness of the fish, the nice sloped foreheads, and the cleanliness of the spotted pattern on the four. These are definitely going to be some of my better discus.

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com