New Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bs6749

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I picked up 8 new discus last Wednesday that I plan on using for future breeders once I grow them out several more inches. I got four high body snakeskins that are 3" and four leopards that are 3.5". They are all in my 29g currently and are showing nice coloration already. They get more and more color every day. These babies are nice and round and the high bodies have some nice finnage. Hoping I'll get 3 pairs out of this group. Enough with the chatting, I know you want pics! Sorry, but they were a little stressed since I just did a 100% water change for them. They were up and at it within 5 minutes eating bloodworms that you can see in some of the pics.

Attachments

• Picture 063.jpg
    Picture 063.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Picture 065.jpg
    Picture 065.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 75
Very nice. I would put them in something a little bigger than a 29 for pairing off. Sometihng like a 55. The agression will get pretty bad in that tank because of it. Also, you have nothing in their for the fish to make a territory, making it more unlikely to pair off. I would stay away from 100 percent water changes. To stressful. I would aim more for 50 percent.

Very nice. I would put them in something a little bigger than a 29 for pairing off. Sometihng like a 55. The agression will get pretty bad in that tank because of it. Also, you have nothing in their for the fish to make a territory, making it more unlikely to pair off. I would stay away from 100 percent water changes. To stressful. I would aim more for 50 percent.

Thanks for the advice, but I know what I'm doing when it comes to growing them out. I plan to keep them in the 29 until they are about 4" each and then I'll move them over to my 55g. Water changes are a big part of growing out discus, the more the better. Breeders in Asia often do 100% water changes 3-4 times per day along with 10 feedings. It only helps to do water changes. Putting them in the 55g any earlier only means more water changes. They won't start to pair until they are 5+" so they are perfectly fine in the 29 for now.

They are beautiful, I bet those cost you a lot of those green pieces of paper :p

Where do you have all these tanks? You have about a million tanks lol.

Glad you like them Ben. The cost of the fish wasn't too bad. Nothing that I wasn't willing to pay at least. I could easily make the money back that I spent for them with a single spawn. If I get a nice pair that goes proven for me I'll make about double what I paid for them, assuming that someone is willing to pick them up.

I've only got 8 tanks and find myself in short supply of room seeing as how 4 of those are 10g tanks. They are set up in my "fish room" except for my 100g community tank that's in between the kitchen and living room.

Gorgeous fish. I hope they pair off for you.
Thanks Anne. Hopefully in about 4-5 months I'll be seeing some spawning! I can't stop my other pair from laying. Every week to the day they lay for me. They just laid again tonight for the 5th time. I have no room for them otherwise I'd put them into their own 29g. I've actually contemplated moving them into one of my 10g tanks next Wednesday morning before they spawn. I heard that Jack Wattley did an article a while back where he interviewed a friend of his that was very successful at breeding discus in a 10g tank... no joke. I'd remove the female back to the community tank after spawning and let the father raise them for a week and a half to 2 weeks before moving the fry over to a 29 if successful.

Anything I own is always worth the price to me. It's not hard for me to spend that kind of money since discus have relatively long lifespans and should live 10 years or more on average if proper care is given. Plus, they are more of a "pet" like a dog or cat. Mine are already eating out of my hand and the ones in my community tank are all so used to me that I can actually "hold them" in the water and they seem to actually like it. Discus are definitely one of the smarter fish and are capable of higher level thinking from what I have seen. They are more enjoyable to have than something like a tank full of Endlers or dwarf shirmp, which I have many of. I basically use those tanks to pay for my discus, rams, angels, etc. Even if they don't spawn, which is pretty doutbful that they don't eventually, they will have a place in my community tank or will make excellent fish for someone's tank should I decide to sell them when they are larger.

I'm more impressed with the roundness of the fish, the nice sloped foreheads, and the cleanliness of the spotted pattern on the four. These are definitely going to be some of my better discus.

Anything I own is always worth the price to me. It's not hard for me to spend that kind of money since discus have relatively long lifespans and should live 10 years or more on average if proper care is given. Plus, they are more of a "pet" like a dog or cat. Mine are already eating out of my hand and the ones in my community tank are all so used to me that I can actually "hold them" in the water and they seem to actually like it. Discus are definitely one of the smarter fish and are capable of higher level thinking from what I have seen. They are more enjoyable to have than something like a tank full of Endlers or dwarf shirmp, which I have many of. I basically use those tanks to pay for my discus, rams, angels, etc. Even if they don't spawn, which is pretty doutbful that they don't eventually, they will have a place in my community tank or will make excellent fish for someone's tank should I decide to sell them when they are larger.
alright. sounds good. And the fish look good :D How big of a tank do discus need anyway? like 60 gallons?

It depends on what you have. They should be kept in groups no less than 5-6 unless you have a breeding pair. A full grown breeding pair can easily be kept in a 20H, though I'd go with a 29g. Full grown adults need about 10 gallons per fish. I really think the minimum tank for adult discus to work would be a 75g. You could do 5 adults in a 55g, some would say 6 adults, but there just isn't the swimming room IMO. A 55g is a perfect tank to grow out up to 10 discus to about 5.5" before moving them over to a larger tank.

wow. too me thats alot. Maybe i'll get some in 5 years when i move out of my house. On Jan. 14 i'll be one step closer. My 14 B-day. :) and :( just depends on which way you look at it.

Wow BS, they are just beautiful. I have discus envy.

I'm planning my first attempt into the discus world later in the year when my 4x2x2 gets going. I hope you don't mind if I beg for guidance. In the meantime, can you recommend a good book?

A good book that every discus owner should have on hand is the 1992 Discus Annual #1 by TFH (Tropical Fish Hobbyist). There are articles in there from people like Jack Wattley, Wayne NG, and quite a few others that are very knowledgeable on discus. It's a good reference to have on hand. I just got mine a month ago and it is filled with great info, even though it was put out in the early 90's. The discus experts all say that the keeping of discus hasn't changed any in the past 50 years and that the magazine is a great learning tool...they are right!

A great source for discus information would be www.simplydiscus.com/forum . Experts and enthusiasts from all over the world gather there to share knowledge and to ask questions. You should definitely check it out before you decide to take the plunge into the world of discus. You will quikly gain knowledge just by browsing through old threads. I've got no problem with you asking me questions either. You can send me a PM on here or on that site as well (same username) with any question you may have. If I don't know the answer, I may know someone that does. As far as buying your discus, there is a sponsor of the Simply Discus website that is located in Townsville, Queensland that would be your best bet for healthy fish. He imports from the top Asian breeders and does a little breeding of his own. He should be able to ship to you.

Thanks BS. I'm only recently became a member of SimplyDiscus, and have been lurking over there a bit already. Great forum, and I've learned heaps so far! Still got a long way to go though.

I have gotton into the habit of asking experienced discus keepers for a "good book" reference. I'ts often recommended that a book is a good place to start, but I dont know which are good and which aren't so good, so thanks.

Back
Top Bottom