Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

New female betta!

Yesterday we went to the lfs/petstore to return some betta fix.

My other half looked at the Bettas and I couldn't help doing so either.

He found a little female betta that he really liked and I guess I was saying we should get her about 15 times lol.

Since we're making sure the cycle is still good in the 10g (dosed w 1ppm ammonia yesterday) it's not quite ready for a fish yet.

We bought a 1g VERY temporary plastic tank for her until we move her into the 5g after moving the catfish into the 10g. This will happen Sunday or Monday at the latest.

We put her upstairs where it was warmer last night (about 73-75 degrees) but it's about 70 now. Not really good for a betta. We didn't want to float her in a little (16oz) plastic cup in the catfish tank since we don't want her in a tiny container anymore, but may have to so she can be warmer. We keep the catfish tank about 77.

I'm scared the colder water shes been in could hurt her. I guess colder water can maybe be a factor in dropsy? We are going to resort to floating her in the catfish tank because she must be warmer.

We don't want to start her off wrong, and we're still very sad by the loss of our male betta who passed and is now in the big big fish pond in the sky.

Thoughts?

Old 10-10-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

She should be fine with the cat fish and Bettas don't need cycled tanks or bowls you may have to Clean it just a bit more than Normal maybe for about a week and I just plop my Bettas In right when I get them and they can handle at lest as low a 68F

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Old 10-10-2014, 02:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well she's gona be in our 10g cycled w the catfish in a few weeks hopefully.

Bettas should have water no lower than 74degrees really. They're from Thailand originally. They're a tropical fish.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

She's floating in a 16oz cup in the catfish tank. I didn't want her to get cold. Weird since a few hours ago the room temp was 75 but her thermometer said 70.

I'll change her cup water daily until she's moved. Maybe twice a day.

And boy she likes her food! I can't wait to try frozen blood worms with her!
Old 10-10-2014, 06:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good just make sure she can get air to breath and she will be ok

Old 10-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

New female betta!

Thanks

She can I made sure of it. The cup is tilting to the side a little bit so one side has higher water level but I'm sure she'll figure it out.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck and enjoy

Old 10-10-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks! She's very cute
Old 10-20-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

She ended up tipping one too many times into the 5g so we left her in there for a few days w the catfish while we finished testing the cycle on our 10g.

They have all been in the 10g together for 6 days now. She nipped at a catfish once the night they were all put in the 10g together since she didn't like him/her hiding under a fake plant, but now she basically leaves them alone, that is the only instance of nipping that I am aware of
Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
She ended up tipping one too many times into the 5g so we left her in there for a few days w the catfish while we finished testing the cycle on our 10g.

They have all been in the 10g together for 6 days now. She nipped at a catfish once the night they were all put in the 10g together since she didn't like him/her hiding under a fake plant, but now she basically leaves them alone, that is the only instance of nipping that I am aware of
Violet/miss betta is so cute! Post pictures please!!!

NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟

Tags
betta, female, female betta, male

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com