Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
New filter

Hi all,
I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer to my query. I have just purchased a canister filter to replace my old internal sponge filter and I am wondering how long I should leave the old filter in the tank and should I leave the old filter running for a while or can I switch it off and just leave it inside for a while?
The tank has been running for over 2 years now and after a couple of unexplained deaths recently I felt that maybe I have slightly over stocked especially for a standard internal filter. Probably clutching at straws but it makes me feel better with a bigger filter with more media in!
Any advice would b greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
100l tank
8 swordtails
5 neons
5 silver-tip tetra
5 mountain minos
6 adult guppies (about 10 fry)
1 molly
2 platy
1 bristle nose catfish

TheBruce1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I have just joined this forum and came across your thread. I run an external filter on my tank. My friend has. Just done the same as you, going from an internal to an external. This is what he did. He took the media out of the internal and squeezed it into the external so some of the natural bacteria is now in the new one. He left the internal running along side the external for 2 weeks before taking the internal one out all together. I know I'm probably to late in replying but like I said I have only just joined, thought I would try to help encase you haven't sorted it.

Guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
Send a message via Skype™ to QuietPlotter
Run them both for 3 weeks
QuietPlotter is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, new filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com