New Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave9365

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I want to get a new filter for my 26G tank (Fluval U3). When I get it can I just set it up in the tank with my old filter still running and run both together until the bacteria has built up in the media (old and new sponges will be completely different shapes). How long would i have to leave the old one in there for?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Any reason you can't run both filters in definitely? A lot of people recommend it invade one breaks.

If your set on removing the old filter I'd go for a month to six weeks.

Hi all

I want to get a new filter for my 26G tank (Fluval U3). When I get it can I just set it up in the tank with my old filter still running and run both together until the bacteria has built up in the media (old and new sponges will be completely different shapes). How long would i have to leave the old one in there for?

Thanks in advance

Dave

You can just run both filters ... One becomes a backup if The other breaks. If you still want to replace the original, run them together for about a month. Or stuff the old filter media with your new filter and it's media to seed the BB ... Again give it a month before removing the old media.

They're both internal filters and take up a lot of space in the tank, so I think I will just try and add the media and run both for a month before removing the old filter.

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom