New/First Fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait430

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So on Wednesday we bought 2 snails and 2 cleaner shrimp as our CUC and they are doing excellent and yesterday we bought our first fish addition to the SW aquarium. We got a blue-green chromis and he is doing very well.

When I finally put him in the tank after acclimating him, he kind of stuck to one small part of the tank - this lasted for about an hour and then he got more comfortable. Now he is roaming around, exploring, and loving his new home!

I'm excited to add more. Probably going to go with clowns next week!

Thanks everyone for your help from the beginning! I will post pictures as soon as I can!

So on Wednesday we bought 2 snails and 2 cleaner shrimp as our CUC and they are doing excellent and yesterday we bought our first fish addition to the SW aquarium. We got a blue-green chromis and he is doing very well.

When I finally put him in the tank after acclimating him, he kind of stuck to one small part of the tank - this lasted for about an hour and then he got more comfortable. Now he is roaming around, exploring, and loving his new home!

I'm excited to add more. Probably going to go with clowns next week!

Thanks everyone for your help from the beginning! I will post pictures as soon as I can!
Congrats Man. I just added 2 Percula Clowns (1st fish in the tank) and they are something else to watch, they kind of wobble around not the graceful swimming that we're use to seeing. A heads up on the clowns (Because they truly are clowns), they do really funny things when the lights go out, one hangs out in the corner positioned vertically doing a very slight wobble, and the other hangs near the surface on his side also doing a slight wobble, this behavior kept me up most of the first night. When the lights go on it takes them a little time to come out of their trance (Sound like my wife), then start swimming around like nothing ever happened. I consulted with ccapt and he verified this is their normal MO.

Good Luck

Thanks Inferno, I did read about your adventure with the clowns and your daughters' reactions. I think its awesome! I do have to also say that you took some amazing pictures so props to you on that one!

I think the clowns will be my next fish that I put in. I was actually going to put in two Ocellaris Clowns probably next week so I cant wait for that one. I wish you luck as well. What are your next fish? Are you planning to add an anemone for the clowns? I want to add one once the tank gets more established. I will probably wait another 3-4 weeks for the anemone.

Good luck to you too!

It will take a lot longer than that for the tank to be mature enough for the anemone, and if I recall, the lighting on the Biocube 29 probably isn't sufficient without modding/upgrades. I see a lot of experienced folks say to wait for 8-12 months for an anemone. Also, I'd slow down on the additions... JMO. We waited for 2 months after our tank finished cycling to add the first fish, and then another couple of months before adding any more. It takes a marine tank a LOT longer than a FW tank to achieve any degree of stability.

Thanks Inferno, I did read about your adventure with the clowns and your daughters' reactions. I think its awesome! I do have to also say that you took some amazing pictures so props to you on that one!

I think the clowns will be my next fish that I put in. I was actually going to put in two Ocellaris Clowns probably next week so I cant wait for that one. I wish you luck as well. What are your next fish? Are you planning to add an anemone for the clowns? I want to add one once the tank gets more established. I will probably wait another 3-4 weeks for the anemone.

Good luck to you too!
Thanks for the props. The next fish we get are going to be a pair of firefish gobies, My girls love them. The anemone is going to be quite a while away, as severum mama is saying and everything i've read and have seen on threads the tank has to be pretty mature with ample lighting. Got the lights but not the maturity (You know, that sounds familiar. Yeah that's it the wife i think says that to me once in a while). How many fish are going to put in the cube?

I will probably max out at 5 or 6. Nothing crazy but good enough. I can't wait to get the firefish goby, they are awesome! He will be one of my next fish so I cant wait. Looks like we're going to have some of the same fish which is cool. I will definitely keep you posted. I do agree and will be patient about the anemone but I cant wait for next week to possibly add another fish. Im going to check all the levels and keep an eye on it religiously. Keep me posted on any new installments.

Just dropped in...to check on you all. You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Adding more fish after a week probably isn't a good idea. It's best to take your time IMHO.

Last edited:
I will probably max out at 5 or 6. Nothing crazy but good enough. I can't wait to get the firefish goby, they are awesome! He will be one of my next fish so I cant wait. Looks like we're going to have some of the same fish which is cool. I will definitely keep you posted. I do agree and will be patient about the anemone but I cant wait for next week to possibly add another fish. Im going to check all the levels and keep an eye on it religiously. Keep me posted on any new installments.
They say the Firefish gobies are happier with a companion, so i plan on getting 2.

OOOOH! and you're doing great too....My email notifications are coming through again. Thanks tec support..

Pictures are coming soon, I promise!! I took them, now I will upload them from the camera to my computer tonight. I should have them up by tomorrow or Wednesday. Everything is going well though, I will be doing a 5 gal water change today and all is well in my little SW aquarium. It really is exciting.

I do have diatoms growing on the substrate and the LR which I dont like too much because its a coppery brown color but I guess I will have to deal with it. Any words of advice as to how to get rid of them. Im probably going to be getting another 2 snails some time this week to make it a total of four.

Another question for you admins and menors though is that when I eventually get the firefish goby, would it be ok if I got one regular firefish goby and then one of the purple ones? Like Inferno said, they like to be in pairs like the clowns and I kind of want mine to be and so does the woman ("the boss" -no kids yet ;)). So would the two different ones get along or no?

Thanks everyone!

Inferno, I love that Tang that you mistakenly got!

Promises:rolleyes:promises:rolleyes: promises:rolleyes:, You sound like my real boss. From shutter release to computer 5 minutes. results priceless. LOL:clown:
I'm glad everything is going well with your biocube. I find it nerve racking but extremely rewarding at the same time. They say the diatoms will take care of themselves and is another part of the cycle and can also be partially removed during your PWC. Waiting patiently. My two firefish are having a blast and don't go anywhere without the other and have found some wonderful hiding spots in the tank because I can't find them until they are ready to wake up. Thanks in regards to the tang, the Boss wanted it and didn't want to hear anything about it or another fish. You know this thing is as wacky as the tang in Nemo (I forgot about the tang in the tank gang amazed with the bubbles coming out of the chest, of course the wife and Boss reminded me today) He zooms everywhere and already has the rock structured mapped out going in and out of the rocks at full speed, I hope he doesn't miscalculate his entry and exit points.
Oh Yeah did I tell you we want PICS.

Back
Top Bottom