Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpate View Post
Because heat causes fungus to grow faster.
I used Pimafix and Melafix to heal fungus on all of my harlequin rasboras, and to heal a wound on my d. gourami.
Salt is a PITA imo, since you have to manually remove it all when you are done.
I always recommend Mela and Pima because it doesn't kill the good bacteria most people are trying to grow, doesn't stress the fish, doesn't smell terrible and doesn't kill plants.
Then you always recommend a waste of money and effort IMO. Pima/mela do not "heal" fungus. It may retard its ability to take hold as a preventive measure. Good for fish with wounds BEFORE fungus shows, but it does not cure anything. Research beyond the product claims makes that apparent. Heat speeds the life cycle of fungus (and many other things) and if used appropriately is a wonderful tool.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

A salinity of 1.005 is supposed to be twice as much as required for ich and as long as acclimated slowly has not affected any of my freshwater plants or fish when using it. I even used marine salt once to cure freshwater ich. Not that I think the melafix or pimafix is as useless as is being stated either, I just wanted to stick up for my buddy, Mr Salt

Old 02-11-2011, 03:58 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HN1 View Post
Then you always recommend a waste of money and effort IMO. Pima/mela do not "heal" fungus. It may retard its ability to take hold as a preventive measure. Good for fish with wounds BEFORE fungus shows, but it does not cure anything. Research beyond the product claims makes that apparent. Heat speeds the life cycle of fungus (and many other things) and if used appropriately is a wonderful tool.
Ok, well you have your opinion and I have mine. I have used Melafix/Pimafix more than once, and cured the weirdness that was happening on my fish.
I will not take over the OP's thread anymore, he can make his own choice.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #14

Ok, sadly, only my black widow survived the night, he doesn't show any signs of disease, but that's how my other fish were yesterday... but I still want to treat him. (if he's alive by the time I get home from school) when I pulled out the bodies of the other guys,(minus the one that passed last night) they were pale white with cloudy eyes... Is this another thing I'd need to treat???
Old 02-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cloudy eyes? Hmm, that could be internal parasites.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:30 PM   #16

Well, the black widow survived while I was at school! Since it looks like he just has a minor case of ick, I'm just gonna buy some treatment for that... And maybe some medicated food if they're are internal parasites.

Tags
ick, new fish, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Ottos! | New clowns »