Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Please help! I came home from school today and had two dead fish! One is missing and I've checked the entire tank! The other three are alive but one has white stuff all over his fins and the other one is about to go belly up! I just got two new ones and before that everything was fine! I separated the one that's gonna die and the other one from the only healthy fish still in the tank! I'm practically in tears I'm so frustrated! I tested my water (since I'm mid cycle) and my ammonia is as low as it's ever been! I'd also like some clues as to where the other fish could be because he was my favorite! I'm desperately trying to get into thus and was loving it until today! Please help FAST! I'm just confused because they were perfectly fine this morning!

Old 02-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Have you checked your nitrates and nitrates? The new fish you got may have been old or already diseased. What fish do you have as they may not be suited to your water

Old 02-10-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah we need more info before we can give advice
Old 02-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry for your losses, but this is why it's important to QT. Also, I wouldn't recommend adding any fish to a cycling tank. Until ammonia is steadily zero, the tank isn't ready for additions.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #5

Thank you, I had a rainbow shark (bad LFS advice, was planning on upgrade) and he was the one that disappeared. Two pepper cories, which were the new ones. one died during school and the other one I watched die when I got home. :'( I had a bleeding heart tetra dead and the two still standing are a black widow and one red minor tetra. I wish I could tell you the nitrates/nitrites, but my LFS was out of master kits and I was worried, so I just got the ammonia. The other two fish have ick, and the red minor tetra has it BAD. He is flashing the rocks and I'm going out to get some ick attack tomorrow. As cruel as this sounds, I want the last two to die, so they don't have to suffer more and I can just start over and do it right.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like the same thing my harlequin rasboras went through. I ended up treating it with Melafix/Pimafix, but the Ick-Attack should work for you too.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #7
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Melafix/Pimafix won't do squat for ich which is the most likely diagnosis. They are best used as a preventive IME. Salt + heat works the best IME.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there is fungus, I wouldn't use heat.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why not?

Pima/mela is a preventive measure at best. The first thing we should all seek BEFORE recommending ANY meds is a good diagnosis. I will absolutely guarantee that heat+salt does far less harm than administering meds haphazardly. Instant gratification for aquarium owners usually does more harm than good.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:31 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Because heat causes fungus to grow faster.
I used Pimafix and Melafix to heal fungus on all of my harlequin rasboras, and to heal a wound on my d. gourami.
Salt is a PITA imo, since you have to manually remove it all when you are done.
I always recommend Mela and Pima because it doesn't kill the good bacteria most people are trying to grow, doesn't stress the fish, doesn't smell terrible and doesn't kill plants.

Tags
ick, new fish, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Ottos! | New clowns »