Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #151
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Do you save any money doing it DIY?
__________________

__________________
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #152
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Depends on your occupation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
Do you save any money doing it DIY?
My big tank cost £350 glass, £60 silicone! (+filters etc.) I think the filters combined, cost more than the glass. I would say yes. (I was a glazier at the time but . . .) my first tank was free to manufacture, my manager "sorted" it for me (they were expecting failure and a lifetimes ribbing), it cost the price of a tube of aquarium silicone (£10) plus filter/heater etc. (+/-£150 with fish)

Shop around and haggle for glass. Off cuts and a glass cutter will save you big money. Glass cutting is fairly simple (mind your fingers) <personal joke.
(The first thing i cut when attempting my first glass cut was my finger)
__________________

__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #153
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
10.December, lunchtime.

Upgraded O2 rig can be seen in top left picture this will be plumbed in today, much less fuss than my old set up, it's made from scrap timber left over from the build. Top right picture, utility wall shows egg tank with air stone rig and quarantine tanks 1-2. Picture centre right, empty tanks are notable, the 5ft soon to be reef and the second 36" tank I picked up at the weekend. Picture bottom right shows many things, quarantine 3 and my new rheophile tank are worthy notes. I still have to plant the 120, plants still potted. Picture bottom left is a closer view of the egg tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	211368  
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #154
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Picture exclusive. Monday 16th

Yesterday there was signs of life in the egg tank. This evening I managed to capture this image. Before this stage they are virtually transparent. This fish is about approx 8mm, approx 0.315"

There are more, as yet I am unsure exactly where to aim numerically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	212266  
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #155
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 202
Are you using a macro lens? I have a terrible time trying to take picture of fry.
__________________
What do you hear Starbuck?
Nothing but the rain sir.
sixtyfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #156
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Photography studies +

I tried using the macro, focal length too long @150mm. There is no depth of field unless I stop the aperture way down. Even then at the distance away I was it is still minimal depth of field. That's the hyperfocal thing. Search hyperfocal focusing technique.
Also diffraction starts to affect image quality with a really small aperture, it is also difficult to autofocus on small apertures (lack of light/cheap dslr camera)
I ended up using the kit 18-55vr lens as I only have three lenses to choose from.
The other lens is a slow telephoto zoom, five foot nearest focus distance, not really ideal.

Image exif, 55mm, f/10, ISO 1600, 1/100s, flash (built in TTL), Vr on.
Single shot handheld. (Apps) Photogene, frame artist.

Really I want something around the 50-80mm mark. Trouble is camera lenses are not cheap! My next two lenses are an ultra wide Dx(nikon crop sensor) for landscape photography and a fast 50mm. Really I need a decent tripod then I could maybe set up at a better distance. Something about a better flash system.
I'm trying to complete an all angles camera kit, I got a fish house instead?

My choice this year was, complete camera kit and lose fish or keep current camera kit and keep fish (build fish house Mk II). No brainer! Lenses will always be for sale. Fish (clowns) needed a bigger tank, like the one they were in before I moved (the same one they are in now) I built the 5ft soon to be reef tank as a temporary home. They were not happy in it. I was not happy keeping them in that tank. I think I made the correct choice, I wouldn't know what to do without all of the fish! That's just over a quarter of my life so far, Fishkeeping.
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #157
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyfou View Post
Are you using a macro lens? I have a terrible time trying to take picture of fry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
I tried using the macro, focal length too long @150mm. There is no depth of field unless I stop the aperture way down. Even then at the distance away I was it is still minimal depth of field. That's the hyperfocal thing. Search hyperfocal focusing technique.
Also diffraction starts to affect image quality with a really small aperture, it is also difficult to autofocus on small apertures (lack of light/cheap dslr camera)
I ended up using the kit 18-55vr lens as I only have three lenses to choose from.
The other lens is a slow telephoto zoom, five foot nearest focus distance, not really ideal.

Image exif, 55mm, f/10, ISO 1600, 1/100s, flash (built in TTL), Vr on.
Single shot handheld. (Apps) Photogene, frame artist.

Really I want something around the 50-80mm mark. Trouble is camera lenses are not cheap! My next two lenses are an ultra wide Dx(nikon crop sensor) for landscape photography and a fast 50mm. Really I need a decent tripod then I could maybe set up at a better distance. Something about a better flash system.
I'm trying to complete an all angles camera kit, I got a fish house instead?

My choice this year was, complete camera kit and lose fish or keep current camera kit and keep fish (build fish house Mk II). No brainer! Lenses will always be for sale. Fish (clowns) needed a bigger tank, like the one they were in before I moved (the same one they are in now) I built the 5ft soon to be reef tank as a temporary home. They were not happy in it. I was not happy keeping them in that tank. I think I made the correct choice, I wouldn't know what to do without all of the fish! That's just over a quarter of my life so far, Fishkeeping.
I think that's a no

Anway, he's only got a Nikon (I even hestitated to give that a capital N)
__________________
Yo momma so ugly, she makes my frogfish look cute
pip walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #158
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
J.Mcpeak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Normally, In A Tank!
Posts: 1,685
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip walters View Post
I think that's a no

Anway, he's only got a Nikon (I even hestitated to give that a capital N)
Canon freak.
That's the problem, I shoot nikon!

. . . I did read the instructions!


Yes indeed, that's the longest no you will ever read!
__________________
https://www.flickr.com/photos/928918...7632686866609/
FW-750L DIY, 120L, 2x110L(not my)DIY. BW-60L DIY. Sw (nearly!)(http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...se-284360.html)
^almost a DIY Fish House^ https://m.youtube.com/user/4tanks2day (L=litre)
J.Mcpeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #159
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Mcpeak View Post
Canon freak.
That's the problem, I shoot nikon!

. . . I did read the instructions!


Yes indeed, that's the longest no you will ever read!
Instructions??? What are you a man or a mouse? Lol.

Ever seen a gorilla pod? I have a large gorilla pod (I don't say that out loud in public!). It is going spare if you are interested.
__________________
Yo momma so ugly, she makes my frogfish look cute
pip walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #160
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 202
I shoot a Nikon D70. All the pictures I've post here though are from my phone.
__________________

__________________
What do you hear Starbuck?
Nothing but the rain sir.
sixtyfou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.