New fish house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading!

Hemigrammus rhodostmus is the one I like, I like the tail.
It is a rummy nose!
A lovely colourful fish, I probably won't get any at all but they are very nice!

Those loach very similar to borneo sucker Beaufortia kweichowensis, but there are a few similar ones... I will research it :D How much did you pay?

That might be it! They also had sewellia lineolata. I will phone tomorrow and find out. They had two choices the sewellia were really expensive, these were the cheaper option.

These fish have loads of species! More than I realised when I got back home with them.

Borneo suckers are hill stream loaches

Correct, there are some 40 or 50 hill stream loaches, I like to know what exactly I have. OCD possibly? I think they mainly all fall under gastromyzon but include pseudogastromyzon and sewellia. According to pip (the name rings a bell) there are even more!

I only thought there were a few, nowhere near all those listed.
I've just learned all that garb!
More amazing knowledge, constantly fascinating world of fish.
The internet actually has some uses for fish species!

Some of them are real nice! (y)

I knew sewellia and gastromyzon but not the numbers involved.

Rheophile/Laminar flow Rig, DIY (loaches.com)

All for under £50, based on water feature for a pond, rated at 770 litres per hour. Massive thanks to the not so local fish store who spent some part of this afternoon test fitting different bits and bobs and opening all kinds of boxes. They even "donated" a few bits to my cause, namely the black strainers (not sure what they are) and a silly bit of hose. (y)

No glue required! Easily upgraded. Some modifications were necessary.

:D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 140
oh nice! is that the river tank design? im curious to see how it will work out.

Thanks to you sir, it's all your fault:ROFLMAO:

That is a slightly smaller version of what can be found on the link you provided. It's all push fit so is easily upgraded should I need to. All I need is a plug (currently being "rescued" from a radio) and we are away!

I'm serious though :thanks:

All for under £50, based on water feature for a pond, rated at 770 litres per hour. Massive thanks to the not so local fish store who spent some part of this afternoon test fitting different bits and bobs and opening all kinds of boxes. They even "donated" a few bits to my cause, namely the black strainers (not sure what they are) and a silly bit of hose. (y) No glue required! Easily upgraded. Some modifications were necessary. :D
That's awesome! Great job. If that works I may have to setup a new tank just for hillstream loaches lol.

Plenty splosh!

Flow rig test, take 1.
I will glue strainer baskets to rig, not such a snug fit underwater.
Otherwise ok.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 87
I'm going to be a dad!

I have waited a long time for this picture!
Corydoras paleatus female, clasping fertilized adhesive eggs between her ventral fins ready for placement.

I didn't miss it, lots off eggs, lots of activity, lots more eggs to follow!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 96
Congrats. I'm glad you got to see the whole show and catch some of it for us to enjoy too. How's the sick Cory doing?

Congrats. I'm glad you got to see the whole show and catch some of it for us to enjoy too. How's the sick Cory doing?

She's sick but alive. I think isolation is helping (resting from breeding?) she is being treated as a precautionary measure, hit or miss I'm afraid. She eats and sometimes appears to act normally. Quietly hopeful.

Haha. I'm intrigued by her progress now. read something on planet catfish where a guy writing a book on cories asks for people to list the issues they've had. Mystery disease comes up a lot. One guy said dumping his cory in brackish water gave the fish a complete recovery in 24 hours

Re: Corydoras disease survey

by Mike_Noren » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:56 am
M@RS wrote:Would you please help me by listing the diseases that you have had to deal with (concerning cories) as well as the treatment that you used.
On peppered cories?
* Chilodonella. Treatment was 25ppm formalin in the aquarium. The fish were free of symptom within an hour of administering the formalin.
* "Mystery disease". One individual became progressively more ill over a period of weeks until he lost equilibrium and couldn't control his swimming. Basically in desperation I moved him to a brackish water aquarium (about 3 ppt salinity) and in 24 hours he had recovered completely. To be on the safe side I kept him in that brackish water aquarium for six months before letting him re-join his group. I have no idea what the problem was, though.

M@RS wrote:Would you please help me by listing the diseases that you have had to deal with (concerning cories) as well as the treatment that you used.
On peppered cories?
* Chilodonella. Treatment was 25ppm formalin in the aquarium. The fish were free of symptom within an hour of administering the formalin.
* "Mystery disease". One individual became progressively more ill over a period of weeks until he lost equilibrium and couldn't control his swimming. Basically in desperation I moved him to a brackish water aquarium (about 3 ppt salinity) and in 24 hours he had recovered completely. To be on the safe side I kept him in that brackish water aquarium for six months before letting him re-join his group. I have no idea what the problem was, though.

On peppered cories?
On peppered cories?

There weren't many posts on that page but if she starts losing control of her swimming it seems like it's close to the end for them. Maybe you could keep some brackish water handy as a last resort or try making the water a little more brackish now and see if she picks up.

Maybe the brackish set may work? Nothing else seems to be doing any good. I will bear that in mind, cheers, cheers, cheers.

This is really cool stuff. I hadn't read this thread before. I can't wait to look at the pics on the real computer.

Back
Top Bottom