Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

New fish in the kids 55

Here are the new fish that the kids picked out today for their tank.

1 ADF
6 Red Eyed Tetras
1 Tinfoil barb (who thinks he is a tetra)
1 Ivory snail
1 Black Molly
1 Upside Down Catfish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-899793972.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	58664   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1683794190.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	58665  

Name:	image-3575029630.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	58666   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1255156499.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	58667  

Name:	image-4141148526.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	58668  

Old 10-30-2011, 12:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice fish! The tank looks great too!

redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Love the fish! I have/had all of those except the tinfoil barb. The molly is pretty tiny and cute. I like the dw too. Congrats on your addition!
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your tank looks great. But I am worried you may have some trouble with the Tinfoil barb. The Tinfoil barb is a schooling fish and is best kept in groups of 6 or more. But before you run out and buy your Barb a few buddies, you should know that they will each grow to be about 14" long.
If you have a tank that is big enough to house 6 of these 14" guy's they are wonderful, friendly, active fish. They will eat out of your hand and brush up against your hand/arm when your inside cleaning their tank. Their incredibly shiny silver bodies reflect the colors around them. They are very fast swimmers that can jump out of the tank easily (have a good lid), so a long (72"), narrow tank works best.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Love the fish! I have/had all of those except the tinfoil barb. The molly is pretty tiny and cute. I like the dw too. Congrats on your addition!
Thank you. The driftwood came from the beach in Florida it spans the whole length of the tank.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendiDell
Your tank looks great. But I am worried you may have some trouble with the Tinfoil barb. The Tinfoil barb is a schooling fish and is best kept in groups of 6 or more. But before you run out and buy your Barb a few buddies, you should know that they will each grow to be about 14" long.
If you have a tank that is big enough to house 6 of these 14" guy's they are wonderful, friendly, active fish. They will eat out of your hand and brush up against your hand/arm when your inside cleaning their tank. Their incredibly shiny silver bodies reflect the colors around them. They are very fast swimmers that can jump out of the tank easily (have a good lid), so a long (72"), narrow tank works best.
Thank you. We have kept tinfoil barbs before in this we had 2 for along time they are very active and fun to watch. I told my son that when they got to big we would have to find a new home for them. I have a friend who has a 120 community tank with 3 tinfoil barbs in it I told him when these out grew the 55 I would trade them to him for some of his fish.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacca View Post
Thank you. We have kept tinfoil barbs before in this we had 2 for along time they are very active and fun to watch. I told my son that when they got to big we would have to find a new home for them. I have a friend who has a 120 community tank with 3 tinfoil barbs in it I told him when these out grew the 55 I would trade them to him for some of his fish.
Sounds like a good plan. I've had tinfoil Barbs too, we found them to have a ton of personality, not timid in any way. Enjoy your new additions.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I need to have the kids pick some fish with some color everything they have is silver except for the Molly and the catfish.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #9
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Quote:
I need to have the kids pick some fish with some color everything they have is silver except for the Molly and the catfish.
You can always get a couple more mollies or platys. They are all colorful. But, you certainly have space, so I think your kids could even pick a compatable school.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
You could get a few German Blue Rams. They are full of color and are one the few Cichlids that will work in a community tank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	German Blue Ram at 6 months.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	59131   Click image for larger version

Name:	German Blue Ram (1).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	59132  

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com