Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
kelbaker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 600
New fish or not?

A friend is moving and can't keep his fish, he offered them to me but don't know if I should take them?

1- Red Devil Cichlid, 8"
1- puffer fish

Ive had red devils before, not the nicest fish, but never a puffer. He says they are in a 55 gallon right now. Can anyone give me info on Littered that might help me decide what to do??
__________________

__________________
kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
kelbaker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 600
Puffers, not littered...lol! Stupid phone...
__________________

__________________
kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,876
Hello. Do you know what kind of puffer fish it is? Is it a green-spotted puffer, a darf puffer, some other puffer?
Its nice of to consider taking his fish.
In general, puffers do not make good community residents IMO. They get aggressive and territorial. Also, gsp have salinity requirements that are different from many other fish.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Cleggat's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 501
Puffers can be aggressive which kind is it?
__________________
Keep your friends close, but keep your anemones closer.


Cleggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
kelbaker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 600
He said it is a green spotted puffer....I really don't know anything about them? I do cichlids...lol
__________________
kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
kelbaker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleggat
Puffers can be aggressive which kind is it?
Green Spotted
__________________
kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
kelbaker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Hello. Do you know what kind of puffer fish it is? Is it a green-spotted puffer, a darf puffer, some other puffer?
Its nice of to consider taking his fish.
In general, puffers do not make good community residents IMO. They get aggressive and territorial. Also, gsp have salinity requirements that are different from many other fish.
It's a green spotted, I did a little research on Google and I'm not sure he knows what he's doing?! Or maybe I'm getting wrong info?
__________________
kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbaker79 View Post
It's a green spotted, I did a little research on Google and I'm not sure he knows what he's doing?! Or maybe I'm getting wrong info?
Yeah, if you did research I am guessing you saw that gsp should be in brackish water and eventually full marine. They are the puffer that I personally have seen the most, and a lot of store sell them in freshwater and don't always tell people the fish should be converted to bw and then to sw. Just my opinion, but I think if you wanted to take that tank, you would have to re-home one fish or the other since as far as I know, red devils wouldn't work in bw-sw.
__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
kelbaker79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: st. louis, mo
Posts: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel04
Yeah, if you did research I am guessing you saw that gsp should be in brackish water and eventually full marine. They are the puffer that I personally have seen the most, and a lot of store sell them in freshwater and don't always tell people the fish should be converted to bw and then to sw. Just my opinion, but I think if you wanted to take that tank, you would have to re-home one fish or the other since as far as I know, red devils wouldn't work in bw-sw.
That's kinda what I was thinking. He says they are strictly FW, which is how my empty (no fish in it yet) 55 is set up. After reading what I've read I don't know if I'm prepared for a BW/SW...having never had one...I don't want his babies to lose a home, put Im just not understanding how this would work?! Thanks for your help!!!!!
__________________
kelbaker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:42 PM   #10
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator
 
absolutangel04's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 8,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelbaker79 View Post
That's kinda what I was thinking. He says they are strictly FW, which is how my empty (no fish in it yet) 55 is set up. After reading what I've read I don't know if I'm prepared for a BW/SW...having never had one...I don't want his babies to lose a home, put Im just not understanding how this would work?! Thanks for your help!!!!!
No problem. You did research, so you saw what other sites/owners said about gsp, so thats good.
I don't blame you for not wanting to do bw-sw, I have never done it either. But, maybe you could suggest some other options your friend, like trying to re-home the gso through a lfs if he can't find a person to take it, or he could try craiglist maybe.
__________________

__________________
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, but thankfully they both led to fish stores.
absolutangel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
new fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article: What You Should Know About Fish Nutrition Fishguy2727 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 02-01-2012 09:41 AM
fish cycling inqury almcloud Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 6 10-01-2011 08:36 PM
17 dead fish 3 seprut tanks all started from fish bought fron the same shop Shaymarie Aquaria Off-Topic 38 09-26-2011 07:15 PM
Sick Clown Fish - Advice Pls AnnieT Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 1 09-26-2011 09:54 AM
Fish Ideas for 55g African Tank? StevesPrettyCool Cichlid Discussion 14 09-22-2011 02:16 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.