New fish: Vulture Catfish - Calophysus macropterus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim Wheatley

Aquarium Advice Addict
Really lucky last week, went into my local LFS and there he was. :) Knew it wasn't one of the catfish the store has regularly and he said it's the second one he has got in the past 15 years.

Apparently they do not travel well and this has led to them being a rare item as it's difficult to profit off something which may or may not survive the shipment.

This is by far, BY FAR, the best fish I have ever had: He's active, VERY active. He swims around the tank like a shark, occasionally resting, but spends most of his time in the current from the filter (which I directed across the front glass, so he spends his time right infront of me).

He literally comes to the surface of the water and opens his mouth so I can drop pellets in there, shows no fear of me whatsoever, and hasn't shown any signs of aggression that I saw mentioned in various places.

My wife did think it was funny that I tested that aggression while I had my hand in there (didn't really have an option, I had to be in there to transfer some fish out to another tank). It was obvious that he knew exactly where I was as he'd point his whiskers at my hand as he swam by, but he showed no interest in attacking (from my experience a fish will normally charge and quit the charge a few times with something larger before they charge with any real intent - and this fish showed no signs of any charges). :D He's also shown no signs of aggression with his tank mates, which are now my Silver Dollars, but I read they're only aggressive when starving anyway.

So, had to switch things around a bit. Moved some stuff from a one tank into another, then the Silver Dollars from the first into another to be with this new guy. Worth the work. :)

I've attached some pics, as always though you can see more photos here: Collection: Fish

Great fish. Had it for just over a week and totally in love with it. Here's a fish that I will NOT be trading back to the fish store. :)

Cheers,

Tim.

Attachments

• timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish1.jpg
    timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 302
  • timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish2.jpg
    timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish2.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 277
  • timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish3.jpg
    timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish3.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 227
  • timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish4.jpg
    timwheatley.org_vulture_catfish4.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 321
Yeah their size is fairly prohibitive I would think. It's a great inbetweener though if you have the tanks, it's certainly not as out of reach for an aquarist as the Red Tail, etc. :)

Planet Catfish was one of the few places with a good, complete, profile. Gladly their site worked well on my phone while I was in the LFS.

I've seen some huge RTC's, you are definitely right about that, it's nice to find a large catfish but still manageable in a larger tank. What are you housing him with? Large SA cichlids?

Just Silver Dollars. They're good dither fish for (possibly) aggressive fish. :)

I would probably take a ton of pictures if I had a professional camera. An iPhone takes good pictures, but not as good a a professional camera. LOL

Back
Top Bottom