New Fishas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zenkatydid

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Finally started adding some "real" fish! :D My 50gal tank has been occupied by a bunch of danios (which will eventually be moved elsewhere) and two bristlenoses for just over two months, since it was set up. I now have added my centrepiece fish - 3 yoyo loaches - and a recent decision - 2 siamese algae eaters.

The yoyo's have already become the stars of the house, entertaining us to no end with their antics. They have also caused me a mild heart attack when one seemed to utterly disappear from the tank for a while. Also, they don't seem to be eating. They forage, but don't go after the food I put in for them (frozen bloodworms or sinking pellets). I am thinking of trying some live food for them. Any recommendations? And one last question - today one of them has gone almost totally grey, the markings fading and the base colour darkening. What does this mean?

The SAEs were in response to a niggling staghorn problem, and even in the few days they've been in the tank, they have nibbled about 3/4 of it! I am totally impressed. And they're so pretty, I love the way they hover like hummingbirds. I have named them Chang and Eng, after the first Siamese twins (original, eh?).

I also got about a dozen mixed sex guppies to start my guppy community breeder tank. We have a java moss wall growing in that has already proven an excellent fry-saver. Here's to livebearers! :D

For the loaches you might try microworms; they are VERY teeny and my big cories and little sidthimunki loaches love them. I have foam over the filter intakes so the fish browse on the ones that get sucked in. If you don't have a prefilter like foam, turn off the filters for a bit so they can grub around. You can get a culture pretty cheap on AquaBid and they are easy to maintain.

Do you mince up the bloodworms? Mine eat 'em with gusto, but only if they are chopped to bits.

they have been eating the bloodworms that scatter around the ground. i guess i was expecting them to go straight for the block. they seem a little casual about food in general. maybe i am too used to feeding danios :D

any idea on the dark grey colouring? he's still dark today. is he stressed or sick, or just in a mood?

Back
Top Bottom