Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2008, 11:19 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe I should start breeding them if there is such a demand for good quality rams. Too bad I have a tank full of spawning angelfish at the moment otherwise I'd consider doing them again.

The GBR's that you had were definitely of the mass produced and hormone subjected variety and I didn't think they'd last more than a year. Microgeophagus ramirezi aren't hard to keep unless they are doomed from the beginning, such as your case. There is nothing you could have done to prevent the losses I'm sure.

Maybe I'll have to check into the rams for breeding purposes though. Someone just told me that Petco was having their annual "Dollar per gallon sale" so maybe I should check into that as well. I have 8 tanks currently but no room...go figure.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #22
AA Team Emeritus

I'd be the first to buy off you if you did start breeding good quality ones. I figured just by the color of the ones I got that they weren't going to last long but I figured I would give it a shot. Now I know.

Maybe we should start a fundraiser for you

Old 08-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not the money, it's the space and time that I'd need to find. $50 for excellent quality breeders is nothing. That could easily be made back with a dozen fry once they get to the right size. Plus, I'd need to contact the seller to see what he has available.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:26 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Then a fundraiser for a new addition? It does seem these fish are in rather high demand for a centerpiece fish since all the dwarf gouramis seem to be diseased.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #25
vfc
Aquarium Advice Regular

meegosh,
Do you have alkaline and hard water? I live in the eastern part of PA, and my water is alkaline and hard.

I could not get GBRs to thrive in my tank. I went through eight over a six month period. Most died within six months; one lingered on for nine months. They all start off great; nice color, great appetite. But after a couple months, they start eating less and fading away. I think they are unable to adapt to hard alkaline water. I have mostly African Cichlids now; they love the water.

Good luck with you quest to find quality GBRs. You may have to invest in a RO/DI set up.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM   #26
AA Team Emeritus

The water here is slightly acidic and soft here in Southwestern PA. I was even considering running peat to make the conditions more ideal. I think my two were doomed from the start. Its a shame since they are really interesting and colorful fish.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:39 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't need soft/acidic water unless you are breeding them. Look at my GBR's in the picture above, not much wrong with them right?. Raised in alkaline water with pH of 7.6 and GH of over 250 ppm. A lot of it is the quality of the fish. Mine only died because of my own fault in topping off the tank with water and not enough oxygen was able to get into the water. I'm confident that mine would have lived 4 years, they were 2 when I killed them and were in excellent shape.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

I contacted the breeder I purchased from in the past and all he has right now are some F1's. They are very nice and I wouldn't mind purchasing the two young pairs that he has...I just don't have the room. I've got yellow shrimp coming in today, snoball shrimp coming in next week and that leaves me with an empty 10 gallon and an empty 29 gallon, both of which I plan to use for my angelfish fry as soon as the eggs hatch. I'd need another 10 gallon tank and a 29 gallon as well and don't have the room! Maybe in a month or so I'll buy some breeding stock from him and put them in a 29 that I have with angels currently occupying it. They'll have to be sold and some moved to my 100 gallon discus tank. Anyone want to buy 9 nice silver angels from me? You will probably get at least 2 pair, most likely 3 the way mine have been going the past week. I know I have 3 pair for sure and could include one of those if you want them. Sorry for the hijack LOL.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Congrats on the angel spawn, I just read your other thread, quite interesting! I was told angels wouldn't do very well in a 30g long and I think at this point the tank is kind of crowded with what I have. The 5 diamonds are always darting about and the neons always occupy the front of the tank (largest swimming area).

Once my guppies grow out my 10g is going to be overstocked also. I wish my tetras did a better job of eating the fry in the 30g. Anyone want some guppies? LOL
Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Angels will do fine in a 30g, at least the tank will work. Should be easy to add a pair if all you have is what's listed in your signature. A pair of angels can be put in a 20H permanently. A 20L isn't recommended by most.

Tags
blue ram, blue rams, german blue ram, german blue rams, pics, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com