Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2008, 11:20 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

New German Blue Rams (pics+vids)

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking long and hard about what fish to get for my tank and I've finally decided. I picked up a pair of GBRs at my LFS. They are already coloring up nicely. The pictures aren't that great because they are still a little nervous in their new setup.

Pictures:

Hiding in the back of the tank.

Out and about with my neons.

Videos:

YouTube - More of my New GBRs

YouTube - German Blue Rams

Also, I picked up an upside down catfish (I had one years ago and I loved it) and 3 more diamond tetras to make 5 total. What do you guys think?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice fish!

I really like the GBR's, I'm just a little leary of adding them to my tank. I think I may go a different route, mainly b/c I have hard water and I read that they may be sensative.

I wish you the best with them as I think they are great looking fish

Understanding the basics will let you make informed decisions on what advice to follow, and what advice is just plain hooey!
SpeedEuphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
gbr's are my favorite looking fw fish. when i get my bigger tank i want to get a couple
fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks for the kind words, I really like them also! They are sensitive from what I've read but I've been monitoring my params for the past month and everything is consistent. The LFS that sells them (Elmers for you Pittsburgh guys) have tons of tanks all setup on one system for filtering, heating etc, but these guys had their own cannister filter and heater to get the temp up to around 80. Over the past few weeks I've raised my temp from 76 to 80 in preparation for these guys.

I drip acclimated them and they seem to be doing great, they even ate some freezedried bloodworms this morning.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Tifta
GBR are freakin awesome looking. I was kind of worried about adding one to my fish tank with neons, but you think they would be alright?

Tifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

They really seem to ignore all the other fish in the tank. As you can see in the picture, the neons were all around him and the GBRs or the neons didn't seem to mind. They also ignore my guppies, even the male with his long colorful tail. Now I'm sure if I threw them into my guppy grow out tank they would make quick work of the fry but that's understandable.

I'm really quite impressed with how peaceful they are and how beautiful they look, even with stock lighting. To summarize, I wouldn't worry aobut tankmates as much as the water conditions.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

my lfs has a few for 7.99 so i might go pick one up. I've been wanting to get one for the longest time, just wasn't sure how it would do with the guppies and neons. What does that water have to be to keep them?

Old 08-08-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

In general they like acidic pH, soft water, and a slightly higher water temp ~80. If you are interested in breeding you will need some large, flat stones, like the red slate shown in the pic with the neons for the female to lay her eggs on. They also like dense groups of plants and plenty of free space for them to swim.

Basically no fluctuations in ph, hardness, ammonia, nitrite and they will be fine. Some people with hard water will run peat in their filters to make the water softer.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

I am not really interested in breeding. Thanks for that info, I got semi soft water so that is good. I might buy one or two soon, they are really cool looking, and congrats to yours!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:56 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks! Don't get discouraged if your LFS's are not nicely colored, once they get fed better they will color up nicely. Honestly, a hour after I put them in the tank their nice blue colors started showing more and more.

That's not a bad price for them either, $7.99. I got mine for $8.99ea - 3% discount. I had a gift certificate that was burning a whole in my pocket since May so I had to use it

Tags
blue ram, blue rams, german blue ram, german blue rams, pics, rams

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com