new gourami (question also)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppygirl09169

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i bought a new tankmate for my little guys (3 male guppies,a cory catfish, a female betta, and a small pleco. A beautiful dwarf gourami! While observing him i noticed he was previously beaten up and is missing an eye and half a feeler on the same side. He is shy but still is venturing out and exploring and seems generally healthy. But if anyone could answer a question about him it would be appreciated! He does tilt to one side sometime and its not on the gravel or anything but its not like hes swimming erratically or looking ill. Do some fish naturally do that sometimes? Is it stress related possibly? or should i fear the worst (hes dying) he ate at dinnertime and i think he was bullied at the petstore because for being in a new tank his appetite was quite good. If you can give me insight that would be nice, thanks! :)

He's obviously been traumatized. He could be listing when he swims due to the missing eye.

Watch him with the betta. It's never a good idea to put more two anabantoid species in the same tank.

What size tank is this?

Its a twenty gallon tank. And yes, knowing how my betta used to be i did watch her and she did check him out like the guppies did but they ignore each other for the most part. she has calmed down a lot and is suprisingly meek now. and your right i the gourami i think was stressed out but he is now coming out and seems to be fine.

I will still advise that the two species should not be kept together, especially in a small tank.

What species of pleco is it?

Keep an eye on him. I have DG's too and when one of mine started to tilt, he passed away days later :( Hopefuly this doesn't happen to you!!!

Back
Top Bottom