new male bolivian ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sadie12345

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

I got a bolivian ram, my first one, about a week ago. He seems to be doing well, although he is still acting somewhat shy and has not colored up much. I really like him, very interesting to watch. He is eating. He is going around the tank more. I am wondering about whether I should try to get a female as well?
He is in a 30 gallon tank with a few other fish, cory cats and a gourami. I have sand and have tried to set the tank up for this fish. There is driftwood and a ceramic log.
My first question is about the changes in the tank that adding a female would bring. I understand they would or could breed and would protect their eggs, etc. But I don't want them to be bothering the other fish all the time. Would they? Right now the tank is peaceful.

If that works out ok, then my next question would be getting a female. When I got the male, they had no females left to sell. So now what should I do? The only place I know of that has females is Petsmart. But they can't sex them so I guess I would have to get a few and see which turn out to be one that would pair with the one I have??
Thanks for any advice.

Back
Top Bottom