New Oto's!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Docker66

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just excited, I came home with two Oto cat's! They are so cute, and they started cleaning the tank right away. My pleco is now part of my brother's 55 gallon. The pleco was lazy anyways. Also, I came home with two bunches of Anacharis, which seem to have had some snail hitch hikers... I'm counting about eight of them, very small. What should I do about these guys? My tank is full and can't handle anymore inhabitants. TIA

Congrats. Your hitch-hikers are most likely pest pond or pest ramshorn snails, and given a chance will reproduce explosively and take over your tank....I suggest you squish each and every one, preferably before exposing the plants to your tank, and carefully search the plants for teeny-tiny ones that are not likely to be obvious.

Well the anacharis is already in the tank... I neglected to inspect them before I put them in (was really excited about my first live plants). So the snails are already out and about. This would be a problem, correct? I'll start trying to smush them all, but is there something that I could put in there that would kill them without harming the other inhabitants?

Tracking down a squarshing all the snails may prove challenging at the least now, but do try. The only thing that is actually effective, but not harmful to the other fish is a loach, but your tank is already at capacity, and most of the best snail-eating loaches are a bit bit for a 10G anyways. Just keep at mushing and snails you find....with luck, you will get them all before they are mature enough to reproduce.

Back
Top Bottom