New pair of angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My dad decided to get me a pair of angel fish for my 55 community tank. Without any knowledge about my fishes, he purchased them.

I am a bit sad, although he had a great heart, my kribensis would never tolerate the long fins of those large angel fish. Hoping they might go well together, I added the angel fish taking the risks, but as suspected the angels were instantly targeted so I removed them.

I currently have the two angels in my qt 10 gallon. I'm not sure on the return policy, but any suggestions?

Do you mean suggestions if you can't return them? You could try to give them a chance to sort it out with the kribs, but if they were targeted too much, I wouldn't risk that personally. IMO, your best bet is probably to return them or get another tank. If those are not options, I would try to sell them.
If you want to take another crack at them with the kribs (though I have serious doubts about that working out in the long-term), then I suggest you turn off the lights and re-arrange the plants and decor and then introduce the angels with the lights still off.

I feel as my kribs are about to breed soon, so aggression will definitely increase dramatically within the tank. The Angels IMO will not survive or will be stressed immensely.

If possible I would love to exchange them for gbr, would a pair be suitable in my 10 gallon?

Cornstar said:
I feel as my kribs are about to breed soon, so aggression will definitely increase dramatically within the tank. The Angels IMO will not survive or will be stressed immensely.

If possible I would love to exchange them for gbr, would a pair be suitable in my 10 gallon?

If the perimeters are perfect and have been stable for a while I say yes IMO . But I have never tried it.

IMO, rams don't really belong in a 10g tank. I do know some people do it, but after owning them I personally think 20g is a better minimum tank size for them, epsecially for a pair.
If oyu are interested in little cichlids, I suggest shellies. The brevis and multis are great for small tanks and they show a lot of really cool behaviors. They are also less sensitive than gbr IMO.

Would putting a pair of gbr in my 55g community be alright? Considering that I have a pair of kribensis already?

I disagree. I am sure that in some circumstances, rams and kribs have happily co-existed in some people's tanks, but I do not recommend adding them to a tank with established, breeding kribs. The rams are just not beefy enough to defend themselves and they live in the same area of the tank as the kribs. IMO, its not an idea worth risking.

@absolutangel04 I will reconsider then, thanks for the advice.

@Reygan2, I am located in Brooklyn, NY. I intended to return them someday today or perhaps tomorrow unless you can for certain say you can come.

Back
Top Bottom