New RCS tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CephalopodCove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At least I think theyre RCS...the one store I got a few at said they were Blood Shrimp but that didn't seem right and they look identical to the 'Cherry Shrimp' the other store had. I currently have 5 of these guys and two are about ready to hatch eggs! However my small male is missing at the moment. I had a filter issue yesterday which killed one of my previous shrimp but the little guys definitely not stuck in there and I couldn't find him on any of the plants. Hopefully he'll come out of hiding later on :(

IMG_20130801_082624_585.jpg

That's what I was thinking after looking around but I wasn't quite sure. Either way, I think they're adorable little guys!

Thank you! I'm not sure because I took the pic in a hurry, but that may be one of my berried girls.

Thank you! And is that what they are? (This Cherry grading system is so confusing to me still haha)

Great find!! I've been trying to find them and have a tank cycled and ready to put them in but can't get any LFS around here to order any for me :(. I can't find them anywhere... That's awesome they had them in your LFS!!

Actually two of mine did! The two berried are from a different shop than the first few but they all seem to get along~ I did lose one just yesterday though. I think it was trying to molt and didn't make it out. Though there are 2 shells as well so I'm assuming the others molted successfully. And none of your LFS have any? That's so sad :( Have you considered Aquabid or some of the Ebay sellers?

I have but some I have found use better pics than what they actually ship... They use fire red pics then ship regular cherries... That one of yours is great!! Keep the updates with them coming :)

Oh, that's unfortunate D: I hope i don't get that problem when I order my Sulawesi shrimp! And I shall! I currently cant tell the status of my berried females. I cant seem to get a good enough look at them most of the time and one of them is constantly hiding in a plant where I cant see her that well. I also have an unfortunate snail problem from one of the plants that came with them. There's three tiny snails in the tank. I cant decide if I should get an assassin, remove the plant (which the shrimp love), or just try to pull them out and hope there aren't more. I'm mostly worried about how adding an assassin will affect my shrimps breeding.

P.S. If my shrimps do well and the babies have just as nice coloring, I could see about learning to ship some to you!

Awesome! Hey with those snails i would just pull the snails from the tank when you see them. I would leave the plant in. I am SO STOKED you're looking into the Sulawesi!! I am going to live vicariously thru you on them for the time being... I think they are a little but harder to keep but are by far my favorite kind of freshwater shrimp out there!

Yeah I think I shall. Hmm maybe I'll drop them into a small separate container and let them grow. I'm mostly just interested to see what they look like grown. And I'm obsessed with pretty much everything from the Sulawesi lakes!! Everything is just cute and amazing! I'm working on setting up essentially a biotope for them. I'm separating a 20L into a sandier/planted are for the Rabbit Snails and gradually changing the opposite side into a rockier area. I'm working on building a large slate cliff with plenty of nooks and crannies for the shrimp to hide in. It's a lot of work but it's worth it to have these beautiful inverts in my tank! I'm thinking about keeping it to Blue Legged Poso and Cardinal, Harlequin, or White Orchid (Can't decide yet) so that I don't have too many shrimp possibly interbreeding. Still not sure on the snails yet. Maybe Golden and White Spotted. So many decisions!

So very awesome! We totally have the same taste with those for sure! Keep updates on these guys and let me know when you start a thread for the Sulawesi and your other guys!! I'd love to follow those threads too! I want to see a pic of your rabbit snails when they get settled in the bigger tank too! I've heard they have dwarf rabbit snails... Is this true?

I'll definitely let you know when I get things up and running! Once I get some more supplies I may just start a build thread for my progress until I get the little guys settled in. And I have seem some rabbit snails labeled as 'mini'. I would assume they would be dwarf species but I can never find a lot of knowledge on them. A lot of my info comes from PlanetInverts which has some really good write-ups on care and breeding Sulawesi species.

I couldn't find much info on them either and was wondering if they were just babies they were trying to pass as dwarf or something... Yea, There are a few shrimp sites out there that have great info on the Sulawesi guys. Yes definately do! I'll be watching for your thread :)

That was my thought initially. Though they do sell cheaper which may be good for my budget haha. I already know all my tank params I need and substrate and most plant life. My only thing holding me back right now is that I know nothing about what heater and filter to use. I have a few but I have no idea whats better and if I should upgrade. So much to learn! I should be getting my slate this week so I'll start a thread soon I hope!

Back
Top Bottom