New Red Acan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quaqa88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey there everyone, I just went to the aquarium store and bought a Red Acan coral, and I just wanted to know is there anything I should know about this coral? I have never had it before and was just wondering if there is anything specific I should know about the Red Acan or Acans in general. Thanks!

Try spot feeding phyto or mysis after a few days. They do put out sweepers so make sure you keep it a couple of inches from any other corals.

Was it sold as a "Acanthastrea lordhowensis"?

Post a pic so we can see it.

Not to bring back an old thread. But i Also have some questions on these guys. Some sites say they like medium to high lighting and some say low to medium lighting. I currently run a 250Mh over a 20gal long. Should i leave it out in the open or try and place it in some shade and see if it does better.

that's were i have mine now. Its currently on the top of the bottom 3rd. Ive got it last week. Assuming its was done giving a fit by now but its staying closed and some cut parts dieing back

no acans like high light in my experience.
i have noticed that if detritus gets on the polyps they sometimes develop infections that wipe out the rest of the coral. generally, they do fine being cut. how is the flow where you have them?

flow is good, tomorrow if they dont look any better ill place them higher up under a little ledge and see what happens then

the recession you mentioned would not be a light issue. too much light would only make them not be as full as you remembered, and fade the colors.

Back
Top Bottom