Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Talking New Reef Tank

Hello all. This is my first real post on this forum. I had a quick post before asking for help with my soft corals. Thanks to everyone who responded (OniTweak, Roka64, Ziggy, NewFound77951, melosu58, austinsdad, and pat8you) to that post and provided helpful advice. The source of my problems there was twofold. One, the LR that I added (approx. 20lb), was not cured and caused an ammonia spike. Second, the lighting was inadequate for the polyps I have to open completely and look healthy.

I managed to get the tank cycled and keep the corals alive with a little ammonia lock, PWCs, and bacteria suplements I found at the LFS. The LR is still sloughing dead material, but the tank seems to be stable.

First, the light! I now have a 24" Outer Orbit Fixture with One 250 Watt 10K HQI metal halide lamp, Two 24 Watt Actinic 460nm T5 Actinics and two 24 Watt 420nm T5 Actinics, plus blue and white LED lunar lights.
(355 watts, 47 Gallons, 7.55 watts/gallon)
I had no idea how bright this thing would be! WOW

Other new additions include 4 Hermit Crabs (two red legs - two normal) and a Turbo Snail. Thanks to the cleaning crew!

Here are some additional pics of the one frag that I have so far. This peice seems to have a lot going on. From my limited experience, it looks like there is bubble algae (valonia), two varieties of sponge (white and orange), a few different types of tube worms, eagle eye zoas, and some other stuff. Please feel free to chime in on what you see. I'm sure I have something, probably many things, wrong.

Yesterday, I cam home from being away all day and my place smelled like fish tank. (first day with the new lights) Not a bad smell really, kinda like the ocean. Why does it smell now? Is it the light bringing things to life?

Thanks again!

Myocyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Having trouble with the pictures...I have them hosted on a picture site and I used the "insert image" tool.

Myocyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I can't see the pictures but I'm glad I could help. You could either add them as an attachment or add them to photobucket.com
8G Biocube - Local Hawaiian Livestock Only
OniTweak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Photobucket is an excellent tool for images.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

24", eagle eye zoas, hermit crabs, myocyte, new reef tank, reef, reef tank, tan, turbo snail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com