New SA dwarfs! (Updated: Pics!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I returned my 7 young keyholes to the shop, and traded them in for a pair of Laetacara (Aequidens) Dorsigera! They are now in my 20 gal with 2 otos and some baby guppies.
I don't have pictures yet, will take some tommorow, but here is a link, and a pic from another site.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=141

*Update...: Mating ritual has begun...shaking bodies next to eachother, turning in circles...since I'm home for 5 days in a row now, I'll do daily big water changes and varied feedings. Let them breed if they really want to :p
I think I have magic water 8) All my new fish show this behaviour.....probably because of the change in water parameters, but still.......I rather think I have magic water. :p

Attachments

• aequidens_dorsigerus_106.jpg
    aequidens_dorsigerus_106.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,421
Thanks, I really like them so far. They are as peacefull as keyholes, but less timid and skitish. I haven't had a chance to take any pics yet...I left my camera in my dorm room/studio/appartment....

I've been feeding frozen daphnia, but they take flakes and algae wafers as well. Not difficult on the feeding part.

The coloration (the bordeaux red) in the picture is probably only seen when in full parenting/mating behaviour. Have not yet seen it on them, just a bit lighter bordeaux colouring that comes up on feeding time (--> when they are 'competing' for food). The male also displays it when chasing the female from time to time. But I don't think they are sexually mature yet.

Pics will be for next weekend!

Here are some pics!

Male eating:

img_577607_0_635e52b56325361d0a070c6508647a46.jpg

Female eating:

img_577607_1_8e2383f93f15fbf94ec24e708eeaf187.jpg

Both together (very hard to get them into the frame together....)

img_577607_2_6e3a6499aa9f6472a9ba1e387c7d8811.jpg

img_577607_3_fc0090366222c9fbc01a98dd65d54e16.jpg

Ok I read this awhile back nd thought I'd say it now as mine are ready to go. I have 100 of these guys. That are still quit small but they are shipping really nice so far { hit's self in haed and says knock on wood. } But if anybodys looking for some of thse I have some for sell right at 1/2 to 3/4 of a inches in size. They will grow alot faster once the fry is broken up some.
I'm selling them for $12.00 a pair or $7.00 each. If anybody wants some either PM me or E-mail me. buggieboy652000@yahoo.com? Plus i just added a fry of about 300+ eggs in a hatchery on the 03-28-06. So more on the way soon. LOL They bred and lay eggs every 11 days like clock work or rbbit's. LOL

Wow, sounds promising......mine haven't bred yet, but are doing fine and still need to grow.
I would also post this in Barter/trade, you will likely get much more response there!

LOL I was just fixing to do that when My e-mail window poped up sying someone had answered this tread. LOL Yea My youngest breeding pair of these guys are right at 3 1/2 to 4 months old. The piar that droped the eggs on the 28th. Are really young. Once they ly there frist fry. They'll lay one every 11days. LOL

Have your started play change there color game? Mine changes color every time they get happy or mad or even fed. LOL

Weasel F. said:
Have your started play change there color game? Mine changes color every time they get happy or mad or even fed. LOL

Yes they are changing their colours all the time :) Sometimes they leave each other alone and they will be without the black stripes and the beige on the top half of their body, and when they swim up to eachother they change colour, also when being fed, etc. etc........ :)
Here's a link with updated pics at the bottom:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=71369

Back
Top Bottom