Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > New Acquisitions
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

No problem. To be honest with you, the Methylene Blue probably isn't doing as much as you think it is. Although the possibility of parasite removal is evident, in order to be effective there must be a prolonged immersion of roughly 3 treatments every other day for 30mins. in fw and depending on the concentration (different brands may have different concentrations). This really wouldn't do a whole lot against ich, marine velvet, etc. A better alternative would be to treat using hyposalinity right off the bat. Although this will eradicate ich, it does nothing against velvet, but at least you can rule out one or the other unless you go the copper route (Cupramine). While the fish are in hypo you can deworm them and if any other illnesses set in you can setup a bath routine in a bucket or your second quarantine tank

Old 10-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just ordered a new refractometer, so hyposalinity will definitely be part of my QT process in the near future. I keep the 20 gallon QT water in a Methylene Blue solution that is relatively weak, but just enough to turn the water blue. I've only had an ich outbreak once and that was with a fish I didn't quarantine (clown tang)...I know...not smart. It eventually died and took a few fish with it, so lesson learned...QT ALL fish. Thanks for the advice though, I'm always looking for ways to improve my QT methods as you can never be too careful in this hobby.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:07 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Longterm solutions of Meth. in a stock tank will destroy your nitrifying bacteria so do watch that as well and provide extra aeration Good for you in proactive quarantine
Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks for the heads up! Good thing I usually only keep the fish in there for a few days at most. Will definitely keep that in mind.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:24 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
IMO how much stress can you put a fish through? I don't quarantine, I just introduce into the tank they will live in. If they show signs of problems I dose with garlic. I put it on the food or in extreme cases directly into the aquarium. While I have no problem with the quarantine process I think each time you move a fish, you stress the fish all over again. Stress = compromised immunity and you leave them open to all sorts of maladies. Just my opinion.

PS love your/my Sailfin Tang!
Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha...Sailfins are great aren't they? I've also boggled around the idea of skipping the QT process, but it really came back to bite me. I too was under the impression that stress is more of the killer than the actual parasite. My QT tank is mainly to teach the fish how to eat properly and hopefully eradicate any external parasites. I soak all my fish food in garlic every time I feed them as I believe it helps build their immune systems. My LFS has a 125 reef tank where they quarantine NO fish, and they've had great luck with their tank. Then again, as a seller, they get a "discount" on the fish they receive and they don't really put as much of a gamble as the customers do. So for me, QT is the way to go. If I see the fish is suffering from extreme stress, then I usually just skip this step and put them in the trial 75 gallon.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

Most of the time their immune systems are already compromised from the stress of capture, transhipping, wholesaler, shipping, retailer, and recapture/sale. The wholesaler and especially retailer have a large % of already introduced and repopulating parasites and other diseases affecting all fish within the flow-through systems (most lfs' filter this way). In essence, it is wise to assume you are purchasing a compromised animal that needs initial treatments; otherwise, direct aquarium placement can wreak havoc if all fish are later infected by random maladies. A strong immune system is indeed important, but quarantine allows for protocols in a controlled environment whereas the main display is quite the opposite
Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator View Post
Most of the time their immune systems are already compromised from the stress of capture, transhipping, wholesaler, shipping, retailer, and recapture/sale. The wholesaler and especially retailer have a large % of already introduced and repopulating parasites and other diseases affecting all fish within the flow-through systems (most lfs' filter this way). In essence, it is wise to assume you are purchasing a compromised animal that needs initial treatments; otherwise, direct aquarium placement can wreak havoc if all fish are later infected by random maladies. A strong immune system is indeed important, but quarantine allows for protocols in a controlled environment whereas the main display is quite the opposite
^^^^ This guys me new hero. haha.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Beautiful fish!
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 06:21 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Any way we can get some pictured of your 220?

Tags
anthias, dispar, sailfin, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com