New SPS colonies (pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Again the self crowned king or the crosspost has a new one. These are some pics of 4 new colonies of SPS (acro and birdsnest) I picked up yesterday. I would like some positive IDs if they can be provided. Kudos to the donor. I have had some issues during the burn-in of my coralvue bulbs but that seems to have settled. I am still leaning on the side of caution and have them all low in the tank with a shortened seven hour photo period which I will lengthen by an hour every other day and then slowly move them up to the desired location. Thoughts? Comments?

Th interesting part of this is that I sort of took atvantage of an opportunity and a LFS employee. Generally I don't like to buy SPS from Local sources based on cost. But this employee clearly had the wrong figures. Usually all SPS colonies are $75 out of their SPS display. I paid as low as $35 each and only $15 for the small colony. This one was the most expensive at $49.

Nice acros. I prefer not to buy large colonies. What is the fun in that. You buy frags and watch them grow. But nice anyways.

Reefnewb...there you are...I was wondering!! I guess you're not a reef newbie anymore!

You got some very nice corals! Nice pics, too!

Thanks drop me a PM this summer when you head this way. No, while in no way am I an expert, I feel I have left the newb status (kinda). thanks again.
R-

Well i don't know about not being a newbie anymore? What about the murlina? LOL.... Jk it was a terrible loss. Good thing i rescued part of it.

No no the clam is alot better. I moved him, cleaned him, removed some pyramid snails, and fed the crap out of him. Looking lots better. Plus picked up a six line wrasse to hopefully take care of the pyramid snail problem.

Curious: what was the burn-in issue with your coral vue bulbs? I've got 2 new 250w bulbs, so I'm kinda wondering.

well coral vue bulbs are great in color spectrum and PAR but they emit a lot of radiation or UV. Espescially in the burn-in period. New bulbs take about 100 or so hours to "burn-in" and allow the specrtum to settle a little. I am no expert but IME during the burn-in especially whem coming from an inferior light source you should shorten your photo period a lot. I went to 3 hours in the morning with a 2 hour beak and another 3 hours or so and ended up coking a few things even with the shorter period. Just use caution and keep an eye on things, it will eventually settle down to normal as everything gets used to the new lighting.

Back
Top Bottom