New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, just purchased a new house that had a rater large sun room on the back of the house, decided I needed a special tank for a section of the wall that is all brick. I have a 29 Gal in my office, and was looking for about a 75gal at home. I went into a thrift store here in our local town and BOOM a 75gal Marineland sitting on a oak stand with two bio wheel filter pumps, light kit, nets, heaters and some ornaments for the inside. The owner of the store said the tank had been sitting in there for 6 months and she was very willing to get rid of it. She filled it with water to show it did not leak and we plugged in all the equipment to make sure it still worked, ever thing was in order and I walked out of there with it for $150.

Will post pictures as soon as possible, (have to find the camera, I know it is in a box some where) need help deciding what to stock it with once I get it set up. I ordered 4 20lb bags of black sand, so far and a set of hoods since it did not have those.

Patman

Hey nice acquisition and for a good price too.

I would suggest that you fill it up and let it sit for a week before you set it up permanently, just to make sure that there isn't a slow leak on the tank.

Awesome! That's a great acquisition for a great price, too!

+1 to ChizerBunoi about testing the tank with water for a bit longer period of time then tested at the store. It was a good thing to do it there before buying, but it's better to be extra safe and check for slow leaks before everything is all set up.

Good luck with your new tank!! Post pics soon :)

Seems I have the Marineland Emperor 400 Power filters one is suppose to be enough for a 90 gal tank so I guess two on my 75 will really keep it clean. Picked up some new filter media for them today have them running while testing for leaks with out any media to make sure they pump okay. So far no leaks and both filters pumping like crazy.

Patman

New Tank

Well no leaks I am happy to report, I have just poured some black sand into the tank and still in the process of cleaning the sand. I took some coffee filters and put in the cartridges of the filters so as not to have to use real media, to help strain out some of the "dust" that comes off the sand. While having a small "live well" pump that I use in my boat to pump out the "dirty" water as I pour in some fresh water seems to be working well it is getting clearer. Will get some pics again as soon as I can find a camera. Lot of stuff still in boxes from the move.

Patman

Pictures at last

Hello here are some pics I took with my phone so forgive the quality. As you can see I have been working on it, have lava rocks a volcano and some plants. Waiting for the water to cycle.

Attachments

• Tank0.jpg
    Tank0.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 127
  • Tank1.jpg
    Tank1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 118
  • Tank2.jpg
    Tank2.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 118
Looks great. All the black makes everything else stick out

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

Patman said:
Seems I have the Marineland Emperor 400 Power filters one is suppose to be enough for a 90 gal tank so I guess two on my 75 will really keep it clean. Picked up some new filter media for them today have them running while testing for leaks with out any media to make sure they pump okay. So far no leaks and both filters pumping like crazy.

Patman

I have 1 on my 10 gallon tank. It really does keep it clean lol. Yes I did say 10 not 100

from, Adam

I agree the black sand is awesome! Really makes the rocks and plants POP :)

Black sand

Yeah the black background and sand is having the effect I was hoping for, the rocks and plants really jump out at ya. Thanks very much for the comments.

Yeah! Kudos for the good deal! and the black sand! it'll make all the fish stand out! Congrats and have fun!!

Sorry it has taken so long to give updates but here is the current tank.

img_1706603_0_e80874be77fb7d1566bb89d193d28ed4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom