New tank and serpae tetras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darkmule27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I finally got my paycheck and got to buy my 10g! I moved all the gravel over some an established tank (wanted to change it out anyway) as well as some other stuff to help it along as well as my 2 otos. I got 3 minor red serpae tetras...I wasn't planning on them, but they were with the black neons I wanted and just were too charming to pass up. I know they're fin nippers, but I watched and no one had any ragged fins or anything. Marbled hatchets next! And I am going to replace the hood, no worries. I'm also finishing up a far better filter for it and slowly buying plants once the hood is replaced.

FTS with 1 blurry oto and 1 blurry serpae
img_993880_0_a719ed03431cee83c71b692c69374c19.jpg

One of them hiding...they have colored up amazingly! One had no visible black comma originally...
img_993880_1_d4b89f6fa8825f7f51dce7ea855fdef7.jpg

All three! Yes, fake log, but I liked it far more than any driftwood I saw.
img_993880_2_4785cae48e9201bf03d3e3b2d7ae9f0e.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness. They're still very skittish.

This is a dumb question but if you're going to redo the hood and the filter, why did you buy a kit? Wouldn't it have been cheaper to just peice it all together?

I wanted the filter that came with it just in case mine failed, was too powerful, or I had problems with the cpvc/primer/cement/etc. I didn't realize how awful the hood was until it was too late :\ I might be okay with just replacing the incandescent bulbs with flourescents if I can ever find them again locally. I looked into buying each piece individually but it ended up being almost $30 more.

Thanks! Quick update about the hood...I switched the incandescents with daylight mini spiral CFLs. It's a world of difference. Now to just install my "hatchet hood" underneath and finish the filter...

A few updates. Went through a mini-mini cycle, but once that was complete, I added 2 more tetras, 1 oto, and 1 platy (temporarily housed while we work out what's up in my mom's tank; also a gift for her). Got 2 bags of larger stones from the dollar store, just looking for some coarse sand to mix in.

Had to shelf the DIY filter for the time being sadly. However, the one that came with the tank was TERRIBLE, so I definitely had to replace it. Found this one and I'm in love! Tetra Whisper i20...it's truly silent and I don't have to turn it off to change the water. It basically disappears against a dark background and has suction well spread out so it moves a lot of water without sucking everything in its path that doesn't move in. Only problem is that it is big and there's a big white sticker right inside the intake. Overall, though, really great filter.
To show how well it disappears:
img_998255_0_739d8f844cc02062827a2af0e54f9327.jpg

The temporary occupant
img_998255_1_1a0fe10dada7ffd7ee3456f11785936d.jpg

Whachu lookin' at?!
img_998255_2_a39ceffdaad3d695d22cb18a57bedb9d.jpg

Also, the joys of having really hard well water. Less than a month and already there are substantial mineral deposits.
img_998255_3_047cbf241891366960d6b6f0cb4fcece.jpg

I can sympathize with you on the hard water, ours is the same way. your tank is really looking nice.

Back
Top Bottom