New Tank, Old BIO Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kiri

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm new here and I really don't know what on Earth I'm doing but here goes nothing. :)

I recently bought myself a new little Fluval Spec 2 gallon for my Betta, Dolphin. I swear, that fish has been through so much. He was half killed by my brothers female in an attempted breeding (didn't go so well) his fins we're nipped to his body and I had to nurse him back to health. He's still missing a lot of fins, they have just started to grow back. I have this little bookshelf stand thing and I keep my 6 gallon on the top and his old tank at the bottom. My nephew (1 and a half years) decided he wanted to play with the fishy while I wasn't watching and grabbed it off the shelf. The tank was acrylic and surprisingly it cracked right in two. Dolph was on the floor until I threw him back in the 6. Unfortunately, that's were the female is at the moment. So right now he's in a glass vase and he's not very happy at all. I hate seeing him in that tiny thing so I ordered the new one right away and am REALLY liking the Fluval.

The problem is cycling. I want it to go as quickly and smoothly as possible so little Dolphin can have his new home. I swear he's eye balling it from across the room. (; My existing tank has been running for about a year now and is fully cycled of course and going strong. I'm wondering if I should take out the bio wheel and place it in the two gallon to quick start the cycle? How long can a bio wheel stay out of my main tank? I wondering if I can just keep it in there for a little while but I wouldn't think so because I don't want to upset the balance in my 6 gal. Is there any way I can scrape some of the brown bacteria stuff off the bio wheel and wipe it on the sponge in the 2 gal? (Fluval spec is a sponge filter) would that help or just be stupid... And is there anything else I can do. Sorry my story was so long and thank you so much! All help is greatly appreciated. :)

Welcome to AA!
What kind of filter are you running (the one with the established biowheel)? If it has a media cartridge, sponge, or floss then you can use some or all of it to seed the new tank. Not all of the beneficial bacteria reside in the biowheel. Just a suggestion.

Thank you!

It's a Marineland Pillar with the penguin filter 100. I guess I forgot to mention that. It just has the bio wheel and a media cartridge. I could just add the whole media cartridge to my new tank? That would be a lot easier. Haha. I know cycling takes quite a while but with seeding the aquarium first from my established tank, how much would that speed it up? They are both moderately planted if that makes any difference btw. Thanks!

I ran a new filter in an established tank along with the existing filter for about a week and then put the new filter plus some of the media from the existing filter into the new tank and after a week it was processing 4 ppm ammonia per day.
In you case it may be as little as 1-2 weeks. Just keep testing daily.

Back
Top Bottom